Shingles for the Third Time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Original Breakout of Shingles was May 2015. I had a knee replacement March 2015. The breakout was text book in appearance, meaning the Torso, stomach band, stretching from right to left. It was extremely painful. I suffered with not only the itching, pain and fatigue, but internal pain that lastest almost 3 months. I had my second outbreak March 2016, which coincidentally happened a week after a minor knee surgery on my left knee. This outbreak was not as severe, and the rash was only on my buttock, however the fatigue was quite dibilitating. I was advised to get the shingles vaccine. I was told that you are required to wait one year after the breakout. I started feeling fatigued two weeks ago and should have put two and two together, however the rash appeared 2 days ago....Of course I haven't had the shot yet, as it would be a year after the breakout at the end of March....I will speak with my doctor next week. What I was wondering is if you have to be stringent about the one  year, or if there are issues if you have the shot before the one year. Also if anyone has found any other holistic practises that have helped them through these breakouts. I already eat very healthy. Walk as much as I can...do to winter weather, and try to get the pool at least once a week. I take Lysine as well. Any other adivse would be welcomed. Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this, I just got over my first and hopefully last outbreak.  I was started on antivirals but has a reaction to them, so I had to go to a naturalpath, and within a few days I was back to myself.  My outbreak lasted from start to finish about 2 and a half weeks.  I increased my b12 vitamin, increase vitamin C, I also took L-Lysine...the highest dose that was recommended.  On my blisters I put ozone infused olive oil and I rubbed that over the blisters and the nerve pain.....the blisters dried up in a few days and the nerve pain went away.  If an outbreak should flare up, I will be started this asap.

• Posted

glad to hear your outbreak was not a serious one. I did all the recommended antiviral as directed, however as mine was very intense and lengthy, any shingles over 60 days is considered that and you are at high risk of another attack. I am going to discuss with my doctor about getting the vaccine prior to my one year wait. as your breakout wasn't too severe I doubt you will have another one. best wishes

• Posted

I'm glad you already eat healthy. Here are some foods that fight the virus: pears, mangoes, sweet potato, asparagus, red and green leafy lettuce, red apples, papaya, bananas, cilantro, celery, scallion, wild blueberries, coconuts, green beans and avocados. Avoid things with the amino acid L-carnitine. Avoid dairy, eggs, pork, gluten, GMO's, natural ingredients, artificial flavors and sweeteners.

Wild Salmon and organic grass fed chicken are the best meats. Hope this helps.

• Posted

thanks for the good tips...i have been trying to avoid dairy and gluten, but found winter more difficult time of year...going to make more of an effort though as I have heard great things about giving them up completely. I'm about half way there.. ..ill keep you posted..lol thanks again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.