Shingles help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 29 And was diagnosed with shingles yesterday. Are there any creams anyone can recommend for the rash. Its getting bigger And bigger each day. THANKS .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I didn't use any creams but when it got re-infected the dr said i should use a mooisture cream  and not anything too drying, It's best to use something with no fragrance in it, I was given one called Zerocream(emollient) I am now using calamine lotion on my sore forehead and  head but I only have the scars now, it is just very itchy, and calamine helps to soothe it!
  • Posted

Hi I have shingles right now as well. Call your Dr and ask for lidocaine patches. They completely dull the pain and help them crust over so much faster. Good Luck the pain is unreal..... Prayers for a quick recovery
  • Posted

When the rash has gone and your skin is healed , I suggest you use a light moisturiser which is Fragrence free. Aveeno cream is used for helping other skin complaints, it can do you know harm and will not irritate. It can be purchased in most chemist stores, and ask your pharmacist for advice. You will feel poorly for some time, even when the rash goes, but don't worry like the flu Shingles knocks out your resistance and often leaves you feeling low for a while .
  • Posted

Hi Fheatherly,

The rash is determined from the varicella virus (chickenpox virus) inside you. Putting a cream or lotion will not prevent it from getting larger. Hopefully, the physician prescribed antivirals which you need to take faithfully. Also, are you in any pain? Where is the rash? Do you have any other medical conditions?

I am a nurse practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years.

FYI: Usually, Herpes Zoster-Shingles starts with flu-like symptoms such as headache, joint and muscle aches, fever, chills, sweating, malaise, fatigue, and weakness. It takes about five days for the rash to reach its maximum size. Fatigue and pain can be the most prominent symptoms. Often, but not always, the younger individuals are not as affected by the symptoms as the elderly.

Let me know how I can help you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I used plain Greek yougurt mixed with the highest percentage zinc oxide I could find. It worked! Seem to ease the itching and pain and dry it up. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.