Shingles Immunization

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - Just joined this message board as I was diagnosed w/ shingles recently.  I would not discourage anyone from getting the immunization but I DID get it about 5 years ago and I have quite a case; mostly abdomen around to side on left side; also left arm, left leg and left chin.  My biggest concern is it not going higher than my chin.  On Valtrex for about 3 days now and using calamine lotion so hopeful it will go soon.  Thought I would only get very mild case if at all after immunization.  I'm SURE stress is a big part as I have been going thru a bit.

I think I'm hearing that unless it's really close to eye or in it; just continue with anti virals and regular OTC pain meds? 

They are YUCKY.....

Nancy

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi nancy

sorry to hear that.  i broke out 2 weeks ago on my right arm and hand, so painful and so much swelling.  it was to late for the doc to give me antivirals, so i have been managing it with pain killers, benadryl for the rash, and ointment for the rash.  its getting better everyday, so hopefully yours wont last to long.  too bad the vaccine didnt work.  i dont plan on getting it since its not reliable.  do the antivirals make you sick

• Posted

Hi Diane, the anti virals didn't make me sick and I usually have issues with medication lots of allergies and sickness. When I was prescribed 5 a day I was dreading it but they have been fine

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have this, I've recently been diagnosed with it but seem to have responded well to the anti vitals. I hope that it doesn't get any worse for you, good luck

• Posted

Dear Nancy,

If you are in a lot of pain, it is okay to demand higher strength analgesics than OTC analgesics. I take Opioids for the Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks. I could not survive the pain. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is considered to be one of the most excruciating conditions known to man. It sounds as if you have the antivirals squared away. Your rash sounds quite extensive. Please let me know how I can help you through this difficult time.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States. Often, people experience fatigue and exhaustion with this disease for a few months, in addition to the pain and rash.

All my best,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It is painful and the rash took off like crazy. I think the valtrex makes me a little sick so I take Emerson and suck up the pain. As long as it doesn't get near my eye!!!! Thanks for the support.

• Posted

Brunoray,

So sorry that you have Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Are you in much pain? I am so glad you are on antivirals. Often, individuals have fatigue and exhaustion with this disease. The fatigue and exhaustion can last months after the pain and rash are gone. While I would never marginalize Herpes Zoster-Shingles, as the pain can be agonizing, and life altering, you are correct, there are worse things.

Let me know how I can help you. I am a nurse practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

I was diagnosed with shingles 2 weeks go.  I went to the doc too late and said the antivirals won't work.  I have alot of swelling under the rash that isn't going away as fast as the rash.  my thumb and index finger is partially numb and swollen, is this part of shingles.  i haven't read about anyone who has swelling as well as a rash.  it looks like fluid build up in those areas.  thats what causes me the most pain, any suggestions.  diana

• Posted

Hi Diana,

I am so sorry for your suffering. Where exactly is the rash? How long have you had the rash? How old are you? Do you have any other medical conditions or diseases? Any allergies to medications? What medications are you taking for the pain? Have you tried ice or cool compresses on the swelling? I am a nurse practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. Many individuals get swelling at the rash site. It is important that you have the pain treated with strong analgesics. If the pain is not contained well, it increases your risk for post herpetic neuralgia or PHN. It is a feared complication of Herpes Zoster-Shingles in which the severe pain an individual experiences persists after the first month, up to a year, or much longer. Many people need Opioids for Herpes Zoster-Shingles as the pain is that excruciating. Physicians can be abysmally ignorant regarding this disease. I require Opioids for the excruciating pain every episode. Merry

• Posted

Hi Merry

the rash is contained to my right arm,top of hand and thumb.  I am in good health otherwise. I take opiods for pain but it seems the pain is greatest where the swelling is. my thumb and index finger is swollen and tingles and partially numb. I use cold compressors often to dull the pain.  the rash is starting to go away (2 weeks now) the rash have blisters that are retreating slowly, and then starts to harden. I think that the areas that are swollen have fluid build up in that area.  my fear is that the pressure is squeezing the nerves and that it will leave nerve damage.  my dad had celulitis, he had so much fluid in his entire body that he looked like big balloon filled with water.  they drained him with lasix but he was left with carpal tunnel syndrome both hands, only his thumb and finger were not damage.  does swelling near or on the nerve pathway cause permanent damage?  I dont know how you or anyone else who goes through this more than once can endure this - sooo painful.  do you know what triggers this.  thanks for your help and replying to my post,  its good to talk about this to someone who gets it.  diana

• Posted

Diana,

Often, individuals under stress are prone to Herpes Zoster-Shingles. The elderly, and the people who are immunocompromised with autoimmune diseases such as SLE, Psoriasis, Sjögrens Syndrome, Rheumatoid arthritis, or on corticosteroids, or have cancer are more prone to Herpes Zoster-Shingles. The transient swelling you are experiencing on your arm should not cause permanent neurological damage. If you elevate your arm, the swelling should decrease more quickly. Your thumb and finger have little space for swelling, and are packed with more nerve endings proportionately than almost any other part of your body. Hence, you have more exquisite pain there.

I hope this helps and this becomes a distant memory.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yea. They won't let me get the shot.

Keep in contact with ur doc.

I try different stuff. When I get time I will type what I use. If I forget then message me.

• Posted

Well, if this is what I got AFTER the shot, I guess I hate to think what it would have been like if I didn't.  On anti virals for 3+ days now so hopeful that the healing has begun.  Using cold compresses and calamine lotion (from instinct of itchy things).... Will likely switch to an aloe something once the things are more dried up.  They are so gross looking...  and they feel gross.  Then I remember how very sick others are with different illnesses and it pops me back into perspective, sooo... carry on, eh?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.