Shingles in children

Posted , 7 users are following.

My granddaughter, aged 5 yrs and six months, was diagnosed with shingles today. Could you please tell me what is the prognosis usually, what should she do and any other relevant informatiom.

Thaks and regards.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think the best person to ask would be her Dr! I was diagnosed with shingles 5 weeks ago but had complications so I am now in the 5th week, I only know how it can be for adults, so maybe someone who has experience of  younger children getting it can help more,( i have heard that it isn't so bad for younger people)
  • Posted

Dear Noel,

The best information should come from her pediatrician, and her parents should have asked this question.

Where is the shingles rash located on her and is she healthy otherwise? Did she receive the Varicella vaccine already, which should have prevented shingles?

Usually, in children, shingles is not as painful or as serious if the child is healthy with no other preexisting conditions. The prognosis should be good. The pediatrician or physician who diagnosed the shingles and is familiar with your granddaughter's medical history is best suited to answer your questions.

• Posted

Thats very young for shingles, Has she had the vaccine for chicken pox?  Shingles can occur more then once but its unusual to get shingles without first having chicken pox, and usually happens as we get older.  I need to do alittle research before I can answer this question for you.  Best thing to do is keep her comfortabe this is very painful and motrin and tylenol may not treat the pain as well as a persception from her doctor.  It is not contagious but keep her clothing and bedding clean always use clean towels oatmeal baths are also good you can get products at your local pharmacy Aveeno makes a good product and the pharmacist can guide you if you have other questions.  I wish you luck I deal with it every few months but most people get it once and never have it again.  I will reach out to you again if I learn anything else that maybe helpful.
  • Posted

Thats very young for shingles, Has she had the vaccine for chicken pox?  Shingles can occur more then once but its unusual to get shingles without first having chicken pox, and usually happens as we get older.  I need to do alittle research before I can answer this question for you.  Best thing to do is keep her comfortabe this is very painful and motrin and tylenol may not treat the pain as well as a persception from her doctor.  It can be contagious to someone who has not had chicken pox or the vaccine until the blisters dryup usually about 7 days.  Keep her clothing and bedding clean always use clean towels oatmeal baths are also good you can get products at your local pharmacy Aveeno makes a good product and the pharmacist can guide you if you have other questions.  I wish you luck I deal with it every few months but most people get it once and never have it again.  I will reach out to you again if I learn anything else that maybe helpful.
  • Posted

Noel,

If she was diagnosed with shingles, she already has had chickenpox. Usually, in the UK and the United States, there is vaccinations for varicella (chickenpox) at a fairly early age. The vaccine came out in 1992.

• Posted

Im sorry to hear that your little lady has shingles, she is so young,  You did not mention where on her body she has it.  Were you given the medication to help with the virus?This is the worse virus that an adult has, for pain how your little lady copes with the pain,  I can not imagin.  please like many people on this wonderful site, keep us informed how she is, as with all us us on here, WE DO CARE ABOUT EVERY ONE ON THIS SHINGLES /PHN SITE.  regards Jocelyne from Cambridge  UK.
  • Posted

Hi, im wondering id anyone can help please. My 6 year old son who is fit and healthy developed a rash behind his ear at the weekend that didn't itch or bother him. Today it is all over his ear and he said it hurts but has been fine all day. I then noticed it on his other ear. Went to the dr who was baffled and said it looks exactly like shingles however it being on both ears/sides was very rare and made him question this. He has prescribed antivirals and said to use Aveeno. Are there other rashes that resemble shingles? Can it be on both sides? He didn't seem to sure but we are now taking the medication and I am scaring myself reading up on complications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.