Shingles in eye 10 months ago - hot feeling in the eye from time to time

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had Shingles in my right eye 10 months ago...particuarly bad case per the doctor.  I am 43, Asian... On an off when I go for checkups, I am told I have hazy spots and put back on Prednisolone/Prednimild.  

I also have a feling of heat in the eye on certain days..

Anyone experiencing this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My right eye still burns eight months after ocular shingles. Some days worse than others. Was told some of it is the post shingles neuralgia and also very dry eyes.
  • Posted

Yes my husband had eye shingles last July. 8 months later he had scars on eye. They put him back on steroid eye drops. Seems better now. They also considered putting him back on antiviral but he didn't seem to need that. Still has itch on eyebrow.

• Posted

My eyebrow drives me crazy too. Worst for me is the change in vision. It is unstable and changes every few hours. That plus the burning is hard to deal with for so many months.
    • Posted

Yes, the change in vision is frustrating.  My husband is going to get new lenses soon (they were waiting to get things under control with the steroid drops).  The eyebrow and tingling does get better, but when he is tired it acts up (particularly at night).  Time will definitely heal.....good health to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa. Not sure my vision problem can be solved. Three opthalmologists have told me it won't stabilize. Reason is that I had distance vision correction procedure done many years ago called radial keratotomy and it was done by cutting into the cornea with a diamond scalpel to flatten the cornea. That made mtgexeffected eye (my right) very unstable. Saw an optometrist today and he saw two changes in my vision measurements in the half hour I was there. All I can do is carry multiple pairs of glasses with me. Guess cell have to live with that. Just need that pain to go!

• Posted

Did any of you develop Pinguecula?  I got it o both my eyes.
  • Posted

I also had a bad case of shingles in my right eye, still itching every day and it is over a year now! On a really bad day my eye feels sore and stingy, I have had to accept that this is never going away!! I stil have to go to the eye clinic every few months for a check up, and so far my vision is ok, i use eye drops and gel at night but nothing stops the itching all around the eyelid and eyebrow, and  forehead, If anyone knows of anything that works I would be very interested to hear, as I have tried antihistamine cream but even that doesn;t help!  I wish you luck in your recovery,
    • Posted

I replyed to the wrong person I meant to reply to you

I had shingles in November 2016, in and around my right eye too. I too still have itching and burning. Always using artificial tears to help with dryness and the horrible feeling that something is in my eye. Lately I've had large cyst like acne bumps showing up on and around the right eye brow near the temple area. There is not a visable white head like a pimple to open and relieve pressure, it's just a tender red bump. And as you and others mentioned I haves lots of itching in that area. The opthamologist said I have white plaques around my pupil but has made no additional recommendations. Initially I was started on valtrex and steroid eye drops but nothing currently. I guess these bumps, itching and the feeling as if something is in my eye will be around for a while  [sad] 0  Report this Reply

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,

I never have a day without very bad itching around my eye at some point, and my forehead, every time i wake up and again usually in the evening, it's impossible not to rub my eye when it itches so badly,  and then it feels sore. I never expected this to go on for so long! At first I was given steroid drops but these are not good long term, so now it's just the artificial tears and gel at night! I hope your suffering ends soon too!

• Posted

I really feel it for you,it's a horrible illness and it scares me I'm going to have a permanent stiff right shoulder from having it in my right collarbone for the past 6 weeks,the pain has eased a lot but the stiffness is still there and very uncomfortable.

perhaps a visit to your local hospitals eye department may help Desi? The eyes are such a complex thing and should be checked out

the very best of luck to you xx 

• Posted

I had shingles in November 2016, in and around my right eye too. I too still have itching and burning. Always using artificial tears to help with dryness and the horrible feeling that something is in my eye. Lately I've had large cyst like acne bumps showing up on and around the right eye brow near the temple area. There is not a visable white head like a pimple to open and relieve pressure, it's just a tender red bump. And as you and others mentioned I haves lots of itching in that area. The opthamologist said I have white plaques around my pupil but has made no additional recommendations. Initially I was started on valtrex and steroid eye drops but nothing currently. I guess these bumps, itching and the feeling as if something is in my eye will be around for a while sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.