Shingles in the eye and trying to get off steroid drops for 5 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been struggling for 5 years to get off steroid drops for shingles that I got in my one eye. I got off steroids after 2years. But then got it back again.

Slowly lowering the dose of steroids is the only way to get off them but the withdrawals made me have stomach issues in the middle of the night. Those issues used to only last 7 days until my body was used to new lower dose of steroids.

Now after getting shingles again 3 years ago, the Dr put me on a low dose of Valtrex everyday. After 2months of that, I was waking up on middle of the night with terrible gut pain and hot flashes and stomach issues. I got off Valtrex and pain went away but stomach issues in middle of the night did not.

Finally after trying other things I changed my diet---no wheat etc...Paleo diet. I've got the stomach issue down to just waking up 1to3 times a night but able to fall asleep again many times.

2 weeks ago I got shingles back again in the eye. So now back on steroids everyday and waking up in middle of the night. The Dr says the cause of it coming back was maybe me recently going on allergy medicines(dried out my).

Anyone had stomach issues trying to get off steroids? I'm highly motivated to get off steroids as my night time sleep is interrupted and I must get up and go to work.

Anyone have any ideas how to taper off steroids? I'm taking a soft steroid which is better than strong steroid.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think steroids can affect the stomach as they are in the eye! Maybe the lack of sleep is due to other meds or anxiety? I too am on steroids and also don't stay asleep for long but I put that down to worry,,anxiety and my meds. I have had PHN  after shingles in the eye. for 18 months now and suffer with itching and sore eye every day. 

• Posted

Hi Jane--I'm on the exact same Shingles history path you are.  Shingles in my right eye 18 months ago and PHN ever since; good days and bad days.  I'm still working my way off the steroid drops (one drop every other day) and wondering if my eye and the surrounding nerves will ever be the same, I'm sure you do too. I had no idea shingles had such long-lasting after affects.

• Posted

Elizabeth,

Do you mind listing you age, all the medications you take, plus diagnoses? You can use the private message.

Thanks

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.