Shingles, is this normal? And can I workout?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm a 35 y/o healthy female and was diagnosed with shingles four days ago. Had an ache in my back but didn't give it much attention until the rash appeared. I'm on valtrex and the rash appears to be getting better but last night I came down with a bad head ache and the chills. I had read that this symptoms usually were at the start of the illness not when the rash was clearing up. I worked out yesterday; would that exacerbate it? I'm training for a half marathon so don't want to stop running on account of this. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jennifer:

I am 47 and recently had a bout of shingles.  Here is how it went:

Tingling and pain

Valtrex

Rash

Soreness and headache (esp. along the route of the affected nerve)

Swelling of the ear canal (on that same nerve).

Swollen lymph nodes and chills but no fever.

I was told not to work out and to avoid the sunshine.

I am not a medical professional but I am guessing you might be taxing your system by training.  Hope this helps

Camdenbuck

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I am lena I have shingles syemtic lupus also and other illnesses but I go to the gym every day and cycling on wensday and Saturday and I swim everyday when I am around people I asked if anyone never had chicken pox I get up at 2:00 am every morning I now can swim 27 laps I have to have double knee surgery complete both so I am building up to take care of myself and you can do it.
  • Edited

Hi Jennifer, unfortunately if you do not take it incredibly easy this virus that is running through you keeps showing symptoms. I was a runner since my teens up to 42 when I came down with shingles. I tried to run again when my first episode subsided, and the became sick and started showing symptoms again. I am 44 now and I am very careful about how hard I push myself, which is a bummer in so many ways. I do yoga a walk, but some days like today, I can feel that my body just needs rest! I have ignored this before and then was hit with shingles symptoms again and again. So now, I am very cautious and do what my body says. Not everybody continues on for years with the symptoms, but I do know most everyone's bodies demand excessive rest for a few months following the outbreak. Take care of yourself and be patient. I know when training for a race a few months is vital, but this virus needs to run its course. Sign up for a different race on a later date.

• Posted

Jennifer,

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. The symptoms you have described can certainly occur after the rash has appeared. Any excessive physical exertion can exacerbate your disease process. You are still in the acute phase of the disease. You need to rest, not train for a marathon.

The pre-eruptive phase lasts up to two weeks, really, three weeks in some individuals. The acute phase, which you have, lasts one month. You are still sick. Be kind to yourself and rest.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles for the past 20 years every 3-5 weeks in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Please let me know how else I can help you.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hard to read this. I'm in the states too, I just randomly came upon this site and decided to give it a try to find some answers. This is all so frustrating. I feel like my dr totally downplayed all of this. He was like sure exercise like normal, so I took a few days off, some Advil and jumped back into my work out routine.

• Posted

It is very frustrating!! Most Dr.s have no idea about this virus, which makes you doubt yourself. You are going to get so many different opinions and advise. Just do what works for you. You know that running right now has made you more sick, so don't do it. Give your body some more time and then try again. If you feel weak and tired and sick again, then continue to rest. Walk instead of run. I know it's hard to give up doing something you love, but if you keep getting sick you will understand that you have to conserve your energy. Hang in there.

• Posted

Mary, I was in and out of the doctor's office in 5 minutes. They didn't say anything about this being a disease. Is there anything I can eat ,drink, or take that makes this never happen again? I can get this in my eyes? The pain is so bad it wakes me up in my sleep. How do I try to stay physically fit if going to the gym makes this worse. Being outside on a sunny day and working out is what keeps me going. I fear for my mental health. Does anyone have anything good to say about any of this?

• Posted

Hi J!

May I ask where the rash and pain is? Also how old are you?

Are you in good health?

Usually, Shingles is not recurrent. However, it does reoccur in some of us, especially when the pain was not well-controlled during the first episode or in those of us who are immunocompromised.

If the rash is not near your eyes, do not worry about it.

The virus has selected the dermatome, and the pain and rash is already there. If you are having difficulty sleeping, please see a physician to obtain an Opioid for the pain. Patients should not suffer from severe pain.

It is okay to go outside as long as the rash is covered with clothing.

Regarding diet: Google High Lysine- Low Arginine Diet and Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Following this diet has reduced the frequency and severity of painful episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles for me.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I am 47 years old. I am in reasonably good health. The rash is on the right side of my torso extending from my spine towards the front of my stomach. After the blisters have scabbed over does antibiotic ointment help at all?
    • Posted

Hi J!

The antibiotic ointment would not be beneficial to prevent an infection, as the skin has no open lesions. The ointment might be soothing as it covers the raw nerve endings as they are misfiring right now. You might try Solarcaine with Aloe, which has Lidocaine, a numbing agent to apply topically. Also, Bactine, a medicinal spray also contains Lidocaine to numb the area. Some individuals have found relief with these topically applied sprays. If you live in the UK, you can Google to find the equivalent.

Also, cool compresses or ice helps to decrease the pain. Most find heat worsens the pain.

I hope you find relief soon. I do know how long the nights are with intractable pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Edited

I was going to say that I probably think it's OK to work out for I have run several marathons while having shingles and never really seem to make it better or worse. I know that working out always mades me feel better (I am most likely addicted to endomorphends). However, I saw Mary19451 posted a reply. She's very knowledgeable and I trust her. I did not know that you should not work-out. I continue to do so while I have shingles. I can usually tell if I'm going to have it happen because I'm very achy a few days before while I'm working out. For me I enjoy working out because I feel better. Not working out just seems to make me worse, it seems like when I work out it helps get it out of my system because my metabolism is revved up. Perhaps I'm wrong though I will take note and be more mindful of how I'm feeling. Even though I trust Mary I will probably listen to my body and do what's necessary for me. Working-out every day is just part of my life. I am a psychologist but I focus on experiential therapy I do a lot of movement with some of my clients. My undergraduate degree was a performing arts degree in dance so I also do a little bit of choreography for a company out of New Zealand I've been doing it for years it's only a small amount of work every few months but it still involves working out. I mean heck look at the picture I posted with my name that was made just a few weeks ago. I wish you luck and I don't know what to say listen to your body though and do what's best.

• Posted

Hi Thinsport,

If someone is in fantastic shape and the exercise is great for them, I would agree with you. I do know that sunlight is a huge trigger for recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles, however. If someone has just become sick with Herpes Zoster-Shingles, I would go easy with the exercise and see how the body tolerates the extra stress. Moderation and tapering up is a better way than having a huge setback. Many on this site have regretted going to work right away, only to become very ill after the first couple of weeks because they did not rest initially.

Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN is a huge complication, and if you are not easy on yourself in the beginning, and pain is not controlled, the risk of getting it is increased. Same with recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles. When you are younger, sometimes the pain is not as severe, but the risks are still there. I was an exercise fanatic, and I do understand the need to get out there and exercise. Life is a balancing act, sometimes...I hope you are feeling better..

Best regards...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Another question. The rash is clustered on the right side of my back and then I have like 4 individual pox wrapping around my chest under my bra line. It seems to be getting better and scabing over but now I have a new spot that is starting to itch and feel weird right next to the rash cluster. Am I getting a second rash?
    • Posted

Jennifer,

I had to go back and find and read your history. It appears that this is day five since the onset of the rash, correct?

Herpes Zoster-Shingles has three phases.

The pre-eruptive phase supposedly lasts a few days in which you can have the following symptoms: headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, and fatigue. These symptoms can persist with the rash. This is followed by pain. The red vesicles-blisters then occur in waves or crops for a period of up to five days. You are still in that time of five days. (So, yes, you could be getting more vesicles-blisters there, or the area underneath the skin is inflamed, with Zoster-Shingles, but you may not get the vesicles-blisters.) Then the vesicles-blisters start to dry out, and scab over over a period of a month. Once they all have crusted, you are no longer contagious.

Again,

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Another question. Is it imperative that I take my last pill of valtrex? I have just one left and I'd like to toss it so I can get back to breastfeeding my baby. Thanks

• Edited

my rash came out exactly 1 week ago now and every day varies. yesterday was awful and last night I woke up soaked, but then today I am feeling better again. my main question is to get your thoughts specifically as I have a race (half marathon) in 8 days from today. I see a lot of back and forth with regard to this - so my question is this: Is 2 weeks in since the rash appeared long enough from initiation to make it safer to race?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.