Shingles, is this normal? And can I workout?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm a 35 y/o healthy female and was diagnosed with shingles four days ago. Had an ache in my back but didn't give it much attention until the rash appeared. I'm on valtrex and the rash appears to be getting better but last night I came down with a bad head ache and the chills. I had read that this symptoms usually were at the start of the illness not when the rash was clearing up. I worked out yesterday; would that exacerbate it? I'm training for a half marathon so don't want to stop running on account of this. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, I've just stumbled across this forum.

I'm 50 and have just been diagnosed with shingles above my right eye, the headaches are unbelievable which then shoot across my forhead and across my eye brow. I've also continued to run and found my heart rate has jumped from 162 (during exercise) to 175. is this normal?

In the first week I had the tingling sensation above my eye which by the start of the second week has swollen and blistered and my eye lid dropped (is this normal?). the pain is still in full force, even waking me through the night.

• Posted

I loved reading the progress on this post and gives me a lot of good information for what I can expect.

I was just diagnosed with a very mild case of shingles 2 days ago, on my torso.

About me

Early 30s

Male

Very active - workout 5-6 times a week

Was ramping my mileage up for a half-marathon (100km month in May 2022)

Low carb diet. Lunch I would only eat eggs, nuts, croissants and fruit

Dinner is mostly meat, with some rice/potatoes

8 days ago, I got a lesion that looked like two bug bites. Unlike most people, this didn't evolve or worsen. It stayed like 2 bug bites so I thought nothing of it. It was itchy AROUND the area of the bit. 7 days after the appearance of the first "bug bites" the areas that was itching sprouted another "bug bite" so I thought this was weird and went to get it checked out. Doctor diagnosed it as shingles.

All the while, I had about a 35km week SINCE the appearance of the first rash, and feeling quite good, except for a little back soreness around the torso area.

Started on antiviral meds right away after the doctor diagnosed me and have been worried about exercising. I plan to stop exercising until my symptoms are stable. As of now after taking the meds, the itchiness seems to be more noticeable and I feel a little more drowsy - likely due to the meds.

I'm curious if @jennifer78043 has any feedback since?

Have you recovered? Did you continue with your training for your marathon? How did you do on your run?

Have you experienced any re-infections or flare-ups?

I will update if anything notable happens!

Hang in there everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.