Shingles & nausea?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with a mild case of shingles.  The dr did not give me an anti-viral due to the outbreak being more than 72 hours old.  I did have a steroid pack.   The spots have dried up & are fading away.  However, I have severe nausea & headache, & sweat outbreaks.   The nausea is almost constant. Could this be from the shingles virus?   I do still have some pain (though not constant) & itching.  Sometimes I think I’m breaking out with more lesions due to the pain & itching.  Thankfully, I haven’t had any new lesions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I’ve talked to others & no one else seems to have nausea with theirs.  

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Betty,

I just got shingles a few weeks ago. It was more than 72 hours so nothing could be done.  I was misdiagnosed st a walk-in clinic. Had so much pain a few days later that I had to go to the ER, where the doctor told me I had shingles. Was told to take Motrin, Aleve, Advil etc for pain.  I too feel nauseous on a daily basis and tired. I still go to work, but I feel like I am dragging.  I also feel light headed but that could be due to my neck issues.  My shingles as of today has not blister over yet.  I have it on my left lower hip/back area.  I have lost 5 pounds already due to this virus. 

• Posted

I have had it for about 3 weeks now and I am still extremely nauseated. I mean really bad. I seen the doc today and they actually want me to eat more as I have lost a lot of weight. They recommended shakes or protein shakes. 
    • Posted

Hi Aaron 

I had shingles are year ago in July and I  was nauseated and tired for weeks. I lost ten pounds in a couple of weeks. I bought protein shakes. Like Boost as we have here in Canada. Even though I wasn’t hungry I could manage to sip away on a small container two or three times a day. 

I also sucked on gravel ginger lozenges as they didn’t make me sleepy and helped to settle my stomach.

It is important to get nutrition in your body as you are fighting a very serious and stubborn virus 

I also took 2000 mg vit D. As you need this to strengthen your immune system , 1200mg vit B12, 500 mg vit C   Plus a multi vitamin ..wishing you a speedy recovery as this too shall pass even though you think it will never end! 

The shingles virus is different in all of us and some recover in a couple of weeks and others months. 

Try to get lots of rest and not stress if you can 

Take care 

• Posted

Thank you for the response Sheila. Question. Did you ever feel extret weak during those days? I'm on my 3rd week and I feel really weak. Sometimes I almost feel like I want to pass out. I have extreme Malaise and there are moments where it feels scary like I want to go to the hospital. My body gets really week almost like the feeling you get when you take a bath and the water is to hot. Or like the feeling you have when you have a really bad flu and you are just laying helpless in bed or on a couch.

• Posted

i was just diagnoses with shingles without a rash on Monday Oct 15th. all it is, is pain for me all around my left ribcage. now i have a decreases appetite and I'm very nauseous and vomiting is occurring. im prescribes lyrica Percocet and acyclovir. so far the medication for pain has been working but i still get pain in waves from tingling shocks to deep muscle to burning. is there anything i can do to help with all of this nausea and pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.