Shingles nerve damage?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a bad case of shingles over 2yrs ago..bit of scalp,right eye, right side nose & face to jaw level & top of lip & in mouth. Also another route down my right temple. Probably the worst I've ever felt health wise.Took me almost 3mths before I felt strong enough to go out. Although now fully over it(I presume) I'm left with what i can only describe as permanent numbness on a small bit of my top lip, a larger area down side of my nose & right nostril, top of cheekbone & under eye..& feeling of something permanently in my eye. That isn't actually painful just irritating/occasionally sore but the numb areas can often get quite 'stingy'.I've had all my regular eye checks and nothing ever shows up so I guess all is ok there but has anyone else been left with these sort of feelings long after shingles? I understood that PHN can take up to 1-2yrs to go but this numbness/stinging hasnt eased so I'm presuming its what I'm left with..permanently..which is bit of a depressing thought. Any advice or tips from anyone much appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debra

I had shingles last June in pandemic but didn't get it diagnosed till after two weeks as doctors wouldn't see me. It was absolute agony at time using the wrong itching cream obviously never helped. I asked pharmacy for advice showing them pictures I they thought it was a fungal infection. When I found out I could send my doctor pictures he diagnosed it straight away and rang me up as soon as he received them. Now it has turned into postherpetic neuralgia for which I had amitryptaline which made it itch more. Then I had Eurax cream which helped at first for 3 months then went down hill and went worse. Now I have been given Capsaicin ream which has peppers in ingredients. It's early days now but hoping this works. Its a nightmare wearing clothes that are not cotton against my skin or that irratates my armpit too. I was stressed at beginning of lockdown 1 March till. June not sure if that's what brought mine on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.