Shingles numbness

Posted , 7 users are following.

I came down with shingles in March. The rash was gone in 2 weeks. I still have some pain, but it's minimal. What does bother me is I have numbness and tingling in my index finger and thumb on my left hand. Have any of you had numbness with shingles and, if so, did it ever go away? How long did that take?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had shingles in November/December on my left arm and hand.  The worst patch was on the palm of my hand, near my thumb.  I still have a good bit of "sensitivity" on that spot, about the size of a silver dollar and my thumb.  It's not the acute, stabbing pain that I had earlier but it's more like a constant reminder of my bout with shingles.  I can live with it but it's a bit of an annoyance.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any numbness from that bout with shingles? Is that sensitivity more like numbness?
    • Posted

Somewhat, I guess.  There is some tingling.  It's definitely a different feeling than I have on the rest of my hand.

• Posted

I got shingles in November and at that time developed numbness and tingling in my feet. The numbness is better but I still have it in my feet sometimes. I was checked for other illnesses but was told by doctors that my numbness is most likely from shingles since I never had it before I got shingles. I got shingles on my left side upper back and under my left arm and left front. I was told by a doctor that the spine has nerves leading all the way down to the feet. So, because my shingles were on my back and upper spine area, those nerves were affected. I notice that the numb sensation is getting slowly better. I stil have a lot of nerve pain on the left back, however. Your numbness is probably related to the after effects of shingles. 

You just have to hope it slowly goes away or try to find ways to minimize the numbness if it gets worse. 

• Posted

Thank you, Tiffany! I am praying daily that the numbness will go away. I appreciate your response! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.