Shingles of the eye and recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles almost a month ago. I was hospitalized with it for 6 days before they realized what it was. They thought I had cluster headaches and then they thought it was a more serious condition called hemicrania continua. The virus attacked my left eye. The blisters showed up on my nose, forehead and in my scalp by day 6. I was put on Lyrica and other medications to manage the pain in addition to antibiotics. I am still recovering at home. Luckily it did not effect the vision however the eye is extremely sensitive to the light, it tears up constantly and the eye lid feels paralyzed. It doesn't want to open. It feels frozen like being at the dentist. My skin on my forehead feels numb. Has anyone experienced eye shingles? How long does it take to calm the nerves down? Did you where an eye patch? Did you ice the eye? Is there anything I should be doing to help in my recovery? I am still off work, it's been a month now. Feeling helpless and guilty. 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

oh Laura,

you have nothing to apologize for...how is your eye...you really need an Opthamologist.

Yes, I am aware of physicians who think shingles is a one time thing.

The commonality I notice is sustained stress combined with immunosuppression.

Do not feel guilty, do not feel helpless. I know how difficult it must be with a family to care for. My heart goes out to you.

Try the ice abd try the patch because rest keep the nerve transmissions down which helps hold the pain down.

gentle warm hugs

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Ice does seem to help for sure. Thanks for reading and responding. This is such a great forum and support group. It is nice to vent and share our thoughts and experiences with those who have gone through it and understand how challenging it is to have shingles. I wish you all the best over the holidays and good health in the coming year.
    • Posted

We are always here for you...my eye is holding steady in the "gonna drive me crazy" zone...hugs

• Posted

in the nineties it was the left half of my head and neck...I was hospitalized and my physician tells me that my head was four times it's normal size...I was on intravenous acyclovir twice a day for a month....but have had shingles since.

My prayer is tha Shingrex gives us immunity to any further episodes. For me it has been once a decade...I am done.

An aside, my vitreous humor is detaching, told it can take nine months, is not painful but the hugh floater moving back and forth like a windshield wiper may drive me batty. I have to be vigilant because the viteous humor could pull the retina along with it. Once the detachment is complete I am told I will not notice a difference.

Big hugs to everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.