Shingles on a 33 year old

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope someone is able to help me out. I'm a 33 year old who workouts out five days of the week, runs 2 every four days, and the last two runs three miles and then walks another three miles for the hell of it. smile Though, I suffer from Chronic Health Anxiety and Depression with OCD which I'm already medicated on. Then, I also have IBS which is being helped by probiotics and greek yogurt. I've done blood work for the last four years straight and everything looked great besides low vitamin D last year when I began treatment of my mental disorder. 

Since last April I've gone through the whirlwind of events from having anxiety attacks late in the night and waking up with chest pains. Not being able to sleep through most of the night. Been stung by a bee which freaked me out since my dad is allergic to bees, thought something would happen to me. Then, I've had problems with members of my family. Did work search and all the places I went to, I was rejected. I have student loan that I need to pay and had to sell half of my film collection to get some money. Finally, having studied WWII history and seeing stark parallels to what's happening currently in the U.S. finally took a toll in my body. 

On June 6-13 I began to feel muscle aches on the right side of my neck. 

On June 14-15 Aches went away and began to notice a small spot on my right shoulder blade with a swollen lymph node. My mom thought that it was a spider bite and treated it with ointments. 

On June 16 It began to quickly spread and began having burning stabbing sensations on my right shoulder blade. (Having a friend who suffered from this due to stress, I realized what it was)

June 17 I went to the ER and the Physician confirmed my suspicion and diagnosed me with Shingles. He asked if I had chronic condition and mentioned Anxiety and Depression. Then asked if I was under stress and told him what's been happening personally. Then, said that's it. He prescribid Acyclovir and to see my Dr just to make sure everything is ok or be referred to a dermatologist.     

Over that week, it keep spreading around my right clavicle and chest, and around my neck. Had issues swallowing. However, taking Acyclovir lessened the symptoms. Plus my ma put some baking soda on my spots that truly lessened the itching and burning.  Though I noticed with the Acyclovir it made me easily to bruise which freaked me the hell out, thinking I have some horrible cancer

Up to today June 29, I finished my antivirals. I was seen by my Dr. associate partner since she was out of town. He was impressed that I had only one day of stabbing and burning sensation, which meant I might not have long term problems, and with the bruising he said, I shouldn't worry about it since other symptoms would crop up. It's the medication. though he did advice me that its going to take several weeks for all the symptoms to go away. Right now, most of the spots have crusted and are disappearing, and the swallowing issues have lessened. Though, I'm still feel weak and with headaches, body pains, and low fever every other day.

Since I suffer from Health Anxiety, even though the ER physician told me its stress I have this irrational fear that its something malignant. I hope some you are able to help and calm my wracked nerves.   

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wanted to update everyone. 

The shingles symptoms have gone away. 

Whatever feelings or sensations that I'm still having is due to withdrawal symptoms of my anti-depressant. 

My Primary ordered blood work to see if there was an issue that needed to be addressed. I called her office today, and I'm got off lucky. Normal blood results. 

Regular ol stress was culprit of this. So, I need to sharpen up my coping skills and perhaps go back and augment the dose of my antidepressant. 

• Posted

Manny,

It sounds as if you have a plan, and you are somewhat better. I am glad for that.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

That's so good to hear. However, if you can avoid increasing the anti-depressants, do that. I truly understand the necessity of them, they made a tremendous difference in my daughter's life. But as you reference, they have side effects and can cause withdrawal. With what I'm dealing with from the gab and tapering from it, I would always recommend as low a dose as possible, as long as it helps.

• Posted

Hi Babs. 

You mentioned you are weaning off gab. I too am weaning off pregabalin.. I’ve gone from three a day gradually to one at bedtime and now have lowered my dosage to the lowest and have been taking them one at bedtime for one week. I will begin taking every other day now and see how I do.  Keep me updated on your profile. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.