Shingles on both sides in 6 year old?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm wondering id anyone can help please. My 6 year old son who is fit and healthy developed a rash behind his ear at the weekend that didn't itch or bother him. Today it is all over his ear and he said it hurts but has been fine all day. I then noticed it on his other ear. Went to the dr who was baffled and said it looks exactly like shingles however it being on both ears/sides was very rare and made him question this. He has prescribed antivirals and said to use Aveeno. Are there other rashes that resemble shingles? Can it be on both sides? He didn't seem to sure but we are now taking the medication and I am scaring myself reading up on complications.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Has your son had Chicken Pox if so it could be shingles. children are at risk . the doc can take a skin scraping -biopsy - send to a lab and know for sure. geez i hope not. also if shingles the doctor should recommend the Shingex vaccine. my doctor gave me the vaccine even though i had had the rash. it has lessoned the severity and repetition .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.