Shingles on just elbows/shoulders

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

This began in '83 right before I got married, I mean 'right before'.  Now periodic and can skip years in re-appearing.  New Obamacare forced me to get new healthcare insurance, new doctor, etc.  I had my first physical this week and was complaining about the pain from my elbow to my hands.  She didn't know what it was - within 2 hours of leaving her office - 'OWEEE' - the 1.5-inch blister-cluster showed itself.  I got my shingles vaccine last year (they make us wait until we're 60 years of age), so having this happen never entered my mind!  BUT,  weirdly, when I went back to the doctor the next day with my self-diagnosis, she gave it a different name and said it wasn't really Shingles, but instead gave it a different herpes name I've never heard of (and I've had about a dozen breakouts since '83).  She also said topical treatments really don't help when you're taking internal meds... ( really ? ).   Now I'm taking 'Famiciclovir 500mg' for 10 days.  Day 3-I just 'hit' my elbow on the sharp edge of a plastic box, so it broke open (disinfecting everything, I mean Everything).  Don't you think a topical might help this pain?   My entire arm hurts from just below my shoulder to my hand. Pic is Day 2 of breakout, right after getting out of bed.  all feedback welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

JCUSA,  I had to take 2 courses of Famcliclovir.  When I asked my PMD ( <3 ) , for a 3rd course he told me, i most likely was having phn. and the antiviral wouldn't help.  in fact he told me it was probably the reason i was so somulent and had an altered level of consciousness,

don't get the vaccine.  it is only effective 40% of the time in a normal healthy person.  i got the vaccine last year because i had already had shingles twice.  when i had to go on steriods for another issue, bam!  out came the worst case of shingles i had ever had!

i found that gabapentin, orally, helped the most with the pain.  hope this helps you.

christine in so california, usa )="" ,="" for="" a="" 3rd="" course="" he="" told="" me,="" i="" most="" likely="" was="" having="" phn.="" and="" the="" antiviral="" wouldn't="" help.=""  in="" fact="" he="" told="" me="" it="" was="" probably="" the="" reason="" i="" was="" so="" somulent="" and="" had="" an="" altered="" level="" of="" consciousness,="" don't="" get="" the="" vaccine.=""  it="" is="" only="" effective="" 40%="" of="" the="" time="" in="" a="" normal="" healthy="" person.=""  i="" got="" the="" vaccine="" last="" year="" because="" i="" had="" already="" had="" shingles="" twice.=""  when="" i="" had="" to="" go="" on="" steriods="" for="" another="" issue,="" bam!=""  out="" came="" the="" worst="" case="" of="" shingles="" i="" had="" ever="" had!="" i="" found="" that="" gabapentin,="" orally,="" helped="" the="" most="" with="" the="" pain.=""  hope="" this="" helps="" you.="" christine="" in="" so="" california,="">

don't get the vaccine.  it is only effective 40% of the time in a normal healthy person.  i got the vaccine last year because i had already had shingles twice.  when i had to go on steriods for another issue, bam!  out came the worst case of shingles i had ever had!

i found that gabapentin, orally, helped the most with the pain.  hope this helps you.

christine in so california, usa>

• Posted

Thanks Christine,  What's PHP?  (I'm new to this site).
    • Posted

PHN is "post hepatic neuralgia".  Some people continue to have pain, along the affected nerve root, for long periods of time, long after the "shingles" appear to be over.  PHN pain, in my opinion is far worse than the actual shingles pain.  Antivirals do not help, in fact they can make it worse.  

I was taking gabapentin, which seemed to quiet the pain down, but I started having side effects from the gabapentin.  It's a vicious cycle that, at times, never seems to end!

The important thing is to stay strong and don't give up hope, even when you feel there is no hope.  I have a strong, abiding belief in  God and prayer.  This helps me the most, specially when I am at my lowest!

God Bless!

Christine

• Posted

That looks so sore, poor you! What name did the Doctor call it? It looks like shingles to me, my thigh looks just like that at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.