Shingles on my big toe

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone ever had shingles on their feet or toes? I started with shingles in May under my left breast, it was very mild although the symptoms was a bit tough. I had tingling, headache, and extremely tired. After it cleared up I thought I was free from it until I noticed what I thought was a bite on my big toe. It itched really bad and then each day I had more and more until my whole toe is covered with red, and brown blisters. I've had fevers off and on and achy all over. Its kind of like having a mild case of the flu. I just can't believe I could have this on my toe. I have another disease called HS and my derm's partner thought it was that, until I went to my primary and he said yes that is shingles but its too late for the anti viral. After I left him I started getting it on my toe on the other side of my body. I have another appt. tomorrow and I'll know for sure. Wish me luck, I've had this since May 17th. Thanks all.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Barbara,

I am so sorry it went to your toe! I am certain we communicated before, as I remember your name in context of HS, and the dermatome initially affected. While I personally have Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years, there are individuals on this site who have had it on their toe. As you are already immunocompromised with HS, I can only offer you the following suggestions.

It sounds like you made a positive first step regarding finding the best dermatologist and internist you can trust. When in doubt, if it is shingles, treat it as if it is shingles. In other words, take antivirals at the first sign of an episode.

Do you have kidney disease? If not, have Famciclovir 500mg 3 times a day for 10 days at home to take for your next episode, with refills. It is called being proactive. Famciclovir is the best of the antivirals, forget old Acyclovir, and Valcyclovir is based on Acyclovir.

Second, is pain control. What is being done for you? I know the exquisite pain of Herpes Zoster Shingles in my eye and ear, and the toe is frightful.

I have cared for individuals with HS since 1976, and as a NP, was aggressive with antibiotics to treat the infections an individual had. I also had him doing warm baths two times daily.

If you wish to private message me you so dont share private information click the brown envelope.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I've had it on my toe!!! Only one blister and it was there and pretty much gone in one day!!! I had the fatigue and flu like symptoms, then while laying on the couch my big toe began to itch so bad. I had my husband squeeze it hard because scratching did not seem to help. The itch was so deep. I asked him if he thought this could be shingles related and he laughed at me. 3 hours later I had a blister on my toe!!! There you go! This was the beginning of me realizing how crazy this virus is. Don't ever underestimate what it can do. (My initial outbreak was behind my right shoulder blade.) I am sorry for your suffering and do not eat nuts or chocolate (low arginine, high lysine foods). Take care

• Posted

What a shock to be told .my big toe had shingles. After a course of both antibiotics and antivirals it's now so dry and crusty and I have no idea how long it will last. I'll let you know when I'm finally free of it. Good luck with your symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.