Shingles on neck and face - what should I expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Diagnosed yesterday, rash appeared 3 days ago. The rash started in my hairline at the back, spread to behind my ear, onto my neck and then a couple on my face (but not near my eye).

Taking anti viral medication - aciclovir and pharmacist recommended painkillers paramol.

I haven't felt ill leading up to rash and felt reasonably ok since. The only exception is the numbness behind my ear and occassional stabbing pain in same area.

My questions are these -

1. Am I fooling myself regarding the pain? I am now getting a bit of earache but pain killers are due.

2. The doctor told me I was ok to go to work - there are no pregnant or likely to be pregnant women in my office. It's only a small team but I obviously can't cover up my rash. Is it ok?

3. What else should I expect? I know we are all different but what is the one thing you wish people had told you but didn't?

Thanks in advance.

S

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think each case is different so if you got the antiviral medication within 72 hours of the onset, then you will probably have a much milder case than many of us have experienced.  What I would advise is that you get as much rest as you can.  Curtail as many of your extra activities as possible so you can continue to work.  Try to avoid stress.  Others recommend a specific diet and hopefully they will respond here.
  • Posted

Hi Shadcroft!

I am sorry you are going through this process.

First, if the rash cannot be completely covered, you are considered contagious to every person who has not yet had chickenpox until all the vesicles-blisters have scabbed over. I would check with your public health department, but in the United States, you would be advised to stay at home until all the vesicles-blisters of the the rash have scabbed over. The individuals would catch chickenpox from you. Some people's immune status may be suppressed if they are receiving radiation or chemotherapy for cancer or immune modulators for autoimmune diseases. They are also in danger of being infected by you. They might not even know their immune system is impaired.

The worst of the pain has yet to come, especially as it is on your face, near or in your ear, unfortunately. As you are now aware, you may have experienced some headache, malaise, aches and pains before the rash, but may have shrugged it off. You have started with the stabbing pain and earche. It can turn into excruciating lancinating pain during the following week or so accompanying by fatigue and exhaustion, sore throat, and swollen lymph nodes, adjacent to the rash. If this happens, please consult with your physician immediately for strong analgesic medications such as an opioid.

I am doubtful that Paramol will be enough analgesic for you. I would use cool compresses on the rash area, (never warm or hot) as cold numbs the area. Some individuals like "Solarcaine with aloe" as it contains Lidocaine to numb the nerve endings. I use a Benzocaine topical ear drop to soothe my acute ear pain. I also take Oxycodone for the first 2-3 days of onset of the severe pain, and am on Topiramate for the neurogenic pain, and Venlafaxine for the neurogenic pain.

May I ask your age, please?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye. The first time it was not diagnosed immediately and therefore, I have recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles. I am 65 years. The pain has to be controlled immediately, though!

Somehow, I still live life to the fullest, and never let any disease control me!

Please do not try to power through this. The varicella virus circulates throughout your entire body. You need to eat nutritious food and rest and sleep. That is your only job right now is to care for you.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.