Shingles on scalp

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 47 year old woman with long hair and scalp shingles. I can't even touch my hair without spontaneous tears. Has anyone else has shingles on the scalp? I have bumps and blisters all over the right side of my scalp down to my hairline. I also have the rash on my neck, face and shoulder but the ones on my head are exponentially more excruciatingly painful. I am taking Gabapentin and Hydrocodone and they only barely knock the edge off the pain.

I am on day 2 of the rash.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice for relief for scalp shingles. Do I need to keep the wounds clean? I can't imagine washing my hair. As for relieve- anything topical that will work with long hair? Any type of compress? I am desperate so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes ... I did. I found that petroleum jelly based ointments clogged the pores. And most prescribed or over the counter ointments have this as the base. A wound Dr. told me wounds need moisture to heal well ... I was going too dry as I was only using all natural shampoos from health store and nothing else. I love Terrasil ... google it and order it from the company. All natural ointment that does not clog and washes out. But feels so good as it hydrates the sores. I also use Free & Clear shampoo or Healthy Hair Antibacterial shampoo. Mine became complicated because the sores lingered due to staph infections. Then I developed Folliculitis ... clogging of the hair follicles. If it becomes infected after your rash subsides, ask your Dr. to look for any staph infection so it can be treated quickly. My heart goes out to you. I've been there. I needed a stronger dose of Gabapentin. My neurologist says you can go high. Now I've tapered back down.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hate that you had to go through that. Sounds awful Are you feeling better? How did you know about the staph infection?

I also have a low grade fever and swollen lymph nodes on my head and neck which are painful. Did you have this too?

I'll ask about a stronger dose of Gaba- I'm on 300 mg and it barely takes the edge off the pain.

Today is the pain worse and more extensive than yesterday. I am wondering - is there a peak to this pain? I have read it last 3-5 weeks. Does that mean this level of pain last that long? I really don't know what to expect.

Again- thanks for the advice and taking the time to write.

Robin

• Posted

(sorry for all my typos. I blame the Gabapentin!)

• Posted

I was taking 800 mg tid prescribed by my neurologist ... now I don't need as much

• Posted

I am so sorry. I had it on my scalp, forehead, and eyelid area. So painful. I actually found showers to be a minor relief of pain for the duration of the shower. Also, if I laid my head just the right way on the pillow, the pain would go away a bit, too. Ice is good, too. I still ice my eye and forehead as I have long term nerve and muscle damage as a result. Are you taking lysine and Vitamin C?

• Posted

Thank you. I am sorry to hear about your nerve and muscle damage. That sounds awful!

I have been eating lots of oranges (craving them!) but I have not been taking lysine or vitamin C. I will definitely start today.

I've also been too nervous to put let my head touch the water in the shower since the ones on my scalp are the worse, but I will give it a try. I woke up today with burning all down my arm and the palm of my hand.

Is there a day when the pain peaks and starts to get better? This is day 3 of the rash for me.

Thank you again for your reply.

• Posted

I was in severe pain for 2 to 3 months, I hate to tell you that. I was incredibly weak for the duration and recovery was very slow.

• Posted

i actually think I have shingles on my scalp right now. 😦 My head has been kinda itchy and tonight i felt what felt like little blisters that popped when i scratched them. I dont have pain other than I've had a couple of headaches. i was just put on Cymbalta for knee pain a week ago, and wonder if this is Shingles in my scalp if the cymbalta may be helping that pain as well. i just had shingles on my side in June which was very painful! My scars from that are just now starting to go away. My question is if you pop the blisters from shingles and then scratch somewhere else can you spread them to another part of your body? When i had shingles on my side, I never had the blisters pop up, thank goodness. But if this is shingles on my scalp, i definitely dont want to keep spreading them!

Thanks!

• Posted

I have read that they can spread - be especially careful with your eye!

• Posted

my heart goes out to you.

i have been suffering with cranial trigeminal nerve five dsdhingles since 2012.

i am in agony at least once or twice s week and monitor my opoids so i dont build up a resistance. im not afraid of addiction but i dont want to take more than 20 %mg of percoset at once it really messes up yr. liver.

this past weekend i spent two days in bed, i couldnt move because of tbe pain. this after seven years of hell

i often wsnt to die, what a relief it would be, but i have to stick it out for my kitty

she is the onky one who can help my pain

i am 70, i have spent 10 per cent of my life in a living hell.

i know exactly every minute every second of your torture.

what can i pass on, do not hesitate to take opoidd when you need them, you need relief, ice packs are helpful, sometimes i rub ARNICARE into my scalp to freeze and stun the pain, its safe..and not that $$+ 10.00 for a tube of gel

use baby shampoo use all baby products yes it is going to hurt whrn you wadh yr hair

but you have to wash it

where is the md the neurologidt in all of this.arent you on antivirals

report back to us

i know too much about your condition , it is living hell

• Posted

Oh my gosh! Since 2012! That is truly awful. I also have MS and have had temporary trigeminal nerve issues in the past and I know that pain is unbearably bad. Please take care of yourself and hang in there.

Is surgery an option for you?

Thanks so much for your advice. I am on Valtrex anti-viral. I hope it is doing something.

I am going to start with a shower today (it's time!) then maybe try and wash with baby shampoo tomorrow.

• Posted

oh my gosh! I am sorry for what you are going through! I can't even imagine what you are going through! I was thinking that once you got shingles you wouldnt get it again, but from what im seeing on this forum is that seems like once you get them, you are very prone to get them again. I am thinking I do have them on my scalp now. My head is itching more today than yesterday, and this is how it started on my side as well. Im going to have to get into the DR to find out for sure. Its hard to see under your hair.

My heart goes out to you, and anyone going through this!! Please hang in there! ❤

• Posted

https://patient.info/skin-conditions/shingles-herpes-zoster-leaflet

the link above has detailed info great for all treatments available and medications anti vitals etc.

also once the rash has cleared is will help reduce the frequency and seriousness of the out next outbreak to get the new shingles immunization. my doctor recommended this has helped a great deal. SHINGRIX reduces your risk for complications especially PROTECT yourself from this painful illness even if you have already had a breakout.

• Posted

At 47 my insurance wouldn't cover the vaccine. I wonder if they will now? Either way, I'd pay out of pocket not to go through this again!

I will definitely check out the website and look into the vaccine. Thank you!

• Posted

thanks,

nope there is no effective surgery. dont even think sbout it.

i havr a top neurologis t at mt sinai who says so.

you can also try medical csnnibas it can help too.

• Posted

I wish we could get the medicinal cannabis in our state! I'd love to be able to also try it for my Osteoarthritis in my knees! Apparently Texas hasnt approved it yet. 😦

Also, does anyone know how long you have to wait to get the Shingles vaccine after having had the shingles? Someone told me

you have to wait 6 months. If thats the case I may never be able to get it. 😦

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.