Shingles pain 2 years on . Help :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi , I had the shingles on my left rub cage around 2 years ago. Unfortunately I did not have a rash and therefore was mis diagnosed for months. As a result of not being treated for the shingles quick enough I am now left with neuralgia on my rib cage. I am currently on Lyrica and amitriptyline at night and this is taking the pain away slightly. However, I get really bad flare ups and I am constantly at the doctor getting my tablets increased. I also have lidocaine patches but because of where on the body it is they do not stick. This is completely ruining my life as I am still young. Does anyoneb have any suggestions that I could try ? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry for your lingering pain. I wonder if a product like BIOFREEZE, a cold-gel I use for neck and back pain would help at all with nerve pain. Might be worth a try. Its manufactured in the US and distributed in a 110 ml tube. It smells very medicinal but produces a wonderful heated, numbing feeling where applied.  Hope you get some relief soon.  xo 
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your pain and discomfort. My neice also had shingles when young. My husband, at 91, is also dealing with fatigue that came with his bout. Shingles is a real bummer! I suggest that you read ALL threads dealing with Shingles on this website. You'll get an amazing education from people who are looking for answers like you. My best to you!
    • Posted

Thank you , I will read all the threads and hopefully find more suggestions
  • Posted

Hi Gemma. Treatment for shingles does not always mean that you avoid the 'PHN' or neuralgia afterwards. I had shingles in April and had Acyclovir but still get the the nerve pains now, November! Itching is also a form of pain if you get this! Some docs don't know much about it. Try getting referred to a Neurologist if that's possible or a pain clinic. Are you in UK or somewhere else? Your GP should refer you if you ask. Tell him what you've said and read on this forum. Print it if possible, he/she will then know how badly it's affecting your life. You sound very depressed which is also an after effect unfortunately. Best wishes, Ellie UK
    • Posted

UK. I have been to the pain clinic and they gave me capsaicin cream but that had little effect. I may try going to the doctor and asking him to refer me like you said. I do not want to be on all these medications for years . Thank you for your advise smile 

• Posted

Hi Gemma. I found Capsaicin worsened the pain/itch and I developed an allergy rash to it, not surprising as it's made from chilly's I believe! I'd go back to GP and insist on referral to neurolgy dept. at hospital. In my own case the depression seemed to get worse as time went on and inspite of Amytryptilene! I'm 72 mind so maybe age has something to do with it also. It's a horrible disease and very frustrating that in this age of medical science, no one has found a solution yet. If it's affecting your ability to work, your doc needs to know this too. All best wishes, Ellie rolleyes

• Posted

PS. You could also try Aciclovir cream which is sold as cold sore cream in very small tubes so would be expensive to buy large amounts. It's cheaper in Wilkinson's or the pound shops though. If it works you could probably get it on prescription for a larger tube. Worth asking the Doc as it helped me. Everyones different though! confused
  • Posted

Dear Gemma,

I am so sorry you are suffering from this excruciating disease. As the Lyrica and Nortriptyline are not alleviating your pain, I would seek help from a neurologist who can work with you to prescribe other medications. I personally have found that Topiramate, an anticonvulsant, and OXYCODONE, plus benzocaine, topical drops to my ear, have helped me manage my recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. Neurontin might work better than Lyrica or Topamax (Topiramate) for you as it is highly individualized.

As you have been affected around the rib cage, another option is to seek help from an anesthesiologist. Occasionally, the anesthesiologist can do a nerve block to certain areas affected by Herpes Zoster or intractable pain

I would ask for an Opioid such as oxycodone if you cannot sleep and function.

It is your right as a patient to live without the agonal pain. No one should be suffering that intensely from pain. I suffered too long from chronic pain, but I am much better now.

I hope this helps. I am a nurse practitioner in the States. Please let me know how things go.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I got diagnosed with shingles 13 days ago. I can't take any kind of narcotic pain meds, because in the past I've had problems with them. Anyhow I was given valtrex and 600mg of neurontin twice a day. It worked like a charm. Although sometimes I ache as if I have the flu which I don't. You may want to try the neurontin. I've worked the whole time. The neurontin has been a God send. Honey I hope you get better. I know it hurts like crap.
  • Posted

I have now been given large bandages to try and keep my Lidocaine patches on . They definitely help with the pain but they always fall off so hopefully these bandages work . However, this is in no way a long term solution in any way sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.