Shingles pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wonder.if anyone can help me. I was diagnosed with shingles on Friday after having the worst pain ever between my spine and right shoulder blade since the Monday.Nothing was taking the pain away. Doc said shingles gave me.antiviral.800mg 5 x a day and amitriptylin 10.mg every night but can take.20 if needed. Took them friday night 20 mg as 10 mg didnt touch me. It.only took the edge.off. Yesterday which was Saturday was the worst pain ever I felt like a poker was being pushed in.my back and it was. Coming out of my chest took a same painkillers again just taking edge off. Today Sunday paid has been bearable not quite as bad as yesterday took the.20mg to go.sleep but stabbing. Pain has.woken me and I'm in agony it radiating around the.side now into my breast. I'm. Such a worrier I'm. Beginning. To.think.ive been misdiagnosed and the pain is.something much worse. Can anyone advise please sorry. It's. So . long-winded xx

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Claire, I was the same a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately it is this painful. I was on pain killers 24/7 and they did start to work better as the anti virals kicked in. The other thing that really helped my back was heat, either a hot water bottle or gel bottle, the heat seemed to work with the pain killers. It will get better, good luck
  • Posted

It'll be almost 2 months for me in 5 days for me now that I'm out of the danger zone. But there's some pain in the left of my scalp, neck (back & front). My skin still hurts with inflamation. Apart from taking the same meds. as you,(+the pain killers) I also used cold & warm pack for comfort from the searing pain. It helped. I know it's difficult getting proper/normal sleep. I'm often in and out of sleep every 1 to 2 hours even now. 

The pain and sleeplessness doesn't go away easily, (as I've been told by quite a few family friends) including the itchiness. Now in the 8th week and am still using heat-packs. Basically, I have a sewing machine, so I bought some good/superior quality wheat; made 2 small 8" x 4", and another 10" x 5" size bags. I warm them in microwave on 'medium' heat on 1 or 2 roll them in another piece of cloth and use them almost everyday on my back and behind my shoulders(1 small). The other 3rd small bag I use to run around the left side of my cheek, ear, and around my head. Gives great relief from pain and inflamation. Don't run it around continuous though. Just pat it around. And before I know I'm fast asleep.

(Don't be alarmed though, I have psoriasis too. So, it's been a 'double whammy for me; whereby I had to get the 'haircut' I have to be able to put the Epaderm cream I've been prescribed). 

Anyway, try what I am. You might find it useful too.  I really hope you feel better soon. 

GOOD LUCK. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.