Shingles Pain and symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went to ER with severe pain in my lower left abdomen, I thought for sure it was kidney stones or something very serious. cT scan came back normal so I was told I probably had gas. I was so upset because this was some excruciating pain. The morphin they gave me relived to some extent so went home and went to bed. The next morning same severe pain so I was lucky enough to get into a gastro doctor and he said it's an infection in my digestive tract and started me on antibiotics. 2 days later pain is so bad I went to urgent care just to see if I could get pain releif, I had started feeling a strange skin sensation on my left upper thigh and groin area, and that's when the urgent care doc saw the tiny little blister on my upper left thigh. So I have shingles, and all the severe pain leading up to it felt like I had something wrong with my lower stomach and or kidney area. I am now on Valtrex for 2 days and the symptoms of belly pain are not as bad but my skin hurts so bad and it's a deep deep ache. I hope I can get over this soon. Just thought my experience might help someone to understand what's going on in the same situation.

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Rockingranny,

I am so sorry for your suffering. Just so you know, I have had kidney stones, and I feel that the pain from shingles is far worse.

You should be on Valtrex three times per day for seven days. That is the standard of care for Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

I hope your clinician gave you strong analgesics to cope with the pain.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Ah thanks for your support, I am so sorry about your ongoing issues with shingles. I have never had this before, does this usually reoccur ? I am on Valtrex 3 times per day since 2 days ago. New blisters keep showing up. I am a Realtor, and my clients won't wait around to long, before contacting someone else. Supposed to go show a client a house today. I am gonna drag myself but feel like just going back to bed.

• Posted

Rockingranny,

It usually does not reoccur, but the medical profession has grossly underestimated the rate of reoccurrence, as well.

Please be aware there is a new and improved immunization for Herpes Zoster-Shingles called Shingrex that will be presented to the FDA & European & UK equivalent this year, supposedly. It is between 91-97% efficacious, as opposed to Zostavax, which has a 37- 51% efficacy rate.

If the lesions are covered, and there is no exchange of body fluids, you are safe to work as a realtor. The virus has been recovered from the tears of shingles patients.

Fatigue and exhaustion are long lasting symptoms of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, that accompany the severe pain and rash.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Rockingranny

I'm so sorry you had this dreadful experience at the ER. But rest assured the anti-virals will stop any residual pain, if you took them early enough which it sounds as though you did. You have to keep taking the painkillers I'm afraid for a couple of weeks.

I noticed a raised itchy rash on the top of my thigh which swelled up alarmingly. Luckily I knew what it was and went straight to the ER. The pain came later.

I just wanted to say, please think about having the shingles vaccination next year if you can because it will be more likely you will get it again in the future. The vaccine is only 51% effective but if you are unlucky, then it will stop any residual pain which can last for life. You have to wait a year after getting shingles because that itself gives its own protection for twelve months, and not be on strong steroids.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I had Shingles in the one year ago and I am still suffering my head itches I can not sleep for the itching I am fed up with it now
    • Posted

Easy for anti histimines hydroxizine HCL. It helps the itching different class of histimines than over the counter. 

Hope it helps. It took many years for my dr to finally find the right one. 

See the classes on antijistimines online. 

• Posted

Espresso to hear you came down with shingles. It very painful. When my dr diagnosed my first blisters I was also given the immunization shot for shingles. 

The dr explained it will make the next breakout fewer and less painful. 

I rarely have any signs since. 

Ask your dr for the immunization for shingles. 

• Posted

Wow they seem to diagnose wrong all the time happy you getting some relief
    • Posted

Hi Timmeka,

I couldn't access, ie reply to your original pos for some reason, and am sorry for that. I don't know where your rash is and how much pain you are in. Hopefully, you were placed on antivirals immediately, and given strong analgesics!

How are you doing now?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Good evening yes everything appeared to be fine at this moment I still have the itching somewhat going on however the burning sensation is gone
    • Posted

That is exactly what they put me on then once it cleared the immunization for Shingles was also given. It shortens the duration and repeat breakouts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.