Shingles pain on hand and thumb

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had shingles for about seven weeks. It was on my left arm, hand, and thumb.  The fingers were unaffected.   Most of it is gone but the worst places, on my hand and thumb, seem raw and very sore and tender now.  Is there any cream that I can use to help them heal and relieve the pain?  It's pretty intense and is so annoying.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I am sorry for your suffering.

Also, my internet connection was down for several days, so I apologise for the delay in responding.

As far as treating the pain of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, you realize that you have Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN. Here are your options.

Ansesthetic TopicslLidocaine patches 12 hours on,

12 hours off

Anti-neuralgia medication Lyrica or Neurontin pills

Antidepressant Cymbalta or Venlafaxine pills

Often, depending on the severity of the pain, you might require a combination of two or three types of pain medications.

The above medications need to be prescribed by a neurologist or someone with expertise in pain management. Lyrica, Neurontin, Cymbalta, and Venlafaxine all are tapered up, then down.

Cold/ice compresses

Many Physicians lack the expertise regarding chronic pain management.

Rest your hand and arm. The more you use it, the more pain you will have. Are you right or left hand dominant?

Do you still struggle with the fatigue and exhaustion?

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for these suggestions!  I am taking lyrica and venlafaxine already but I will do the cold compresses.  I noticed earlier today that it feels much better when it's on a cold surface so I will begin the compresses.  Luckily, it is on my left hand which I can rest more than my right hand. It is better overall after two months but as I begin week nine, I am getting tired of the pain on my hand and thumb.

• Posted

Also, Betty,

Try elevating your arm above your heart when you can as elevation will keep the swelling down, and therefore, the pain. Sleep with a pillow on your chest with your left arm cradled on top.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.