Shingles rash getting worse.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I was diagnosed with shingles 12 days ago and started on medication and topicals the same day. After 5 days, the rash disappeared and I thought I was on my way to getting rid of it. On day 6, the rash came back worse and is getting worse. I thought the rash was supposed to be gone by ten days? I already have degenerative disc disease and chronic inflammation so this is taking my pain level to a scary place. Is it normal to have a pro longed rash that gets worse?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It takes weeks or months or for some years so you need to be patient whoever told you it would be orted in 2 weeks was wrong your bodies being attacked by a virus so go easy on yourself
  • Posted

Dear Tereeza,

This is not normal! I am so sorry you are in agony! Please return to your doctor today and get a prescription for either Valcyclovir 1000 mg 3x daily for 10 days, or Famciclovir 500 mg 3x daily for 10 days if you had Valcyclovir. The rash usually is complete by day 5. The pain continues to crescendo through week two. The more active you are, the worse it hurts. You need to rest and sleep. Do not go to work. Let the house work slide.

You need to restart the Antivirals and be on them for a longer duration. If you were on Acyclovir, that is the least effective drug. It should have been prescribed for 7 days. Sometimes, the virus has built a resistance to Acyclovir and a person needs to be on Valcyclovir, better, or Famciclovir, best. It also depends on what your insurance will pay for.

Your body's immune system may not be responding to the virus in a robust fashion, either, or the virus is particularly virulent.

In any case, please get the Antiviral. As Shingles is excruciating, and I had spondylolisthesis grade IV and severe spinal and foraminal stenosis lumbar and cervical, I know the pain of which you speak, please get analgesics to help you. I would ask for Oxycodone and Neurontin for the Neuralgia.

Please excuse me if you are already on medication for chronic pain.

BTW, I did have neurosurgery for my C-spine and L-spine with great success! I was walking with a walker in agony, before, and am now pain free!

If you have certain diseases that predispose you to Shingles and lower your immunity, you would also need a longer duration of Antivirals.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for all of that! I am happy that you are pain free. This has been the worst two years of my life and the shingles is making everything worse. I was on Valcyclovir for seven days and bed rest the entire time but I still got worse. I am on Percocet for my chronic pain and even that doesn't help the pain I am in. I will contact my Doctor today. Thanks again.

• Posted

Great,

I am so sorry you are going through this! Please let me know what the Physician does for you!

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.