Shingles related to flu vaccine

Posted , 5 users are following.

received flu vaccine on November 23. the following day i developed shock like feelings and tingling feelings on the right side of the face. along with severe headaches on right side, right eye pressure, blurry vision in right eye and sensitive to light, and fatigue. i have had facial shingles to my left side one year ago and it felt identical to this except i had no fever or rash this time. its been over a month and still having numbness to face with eye pressure and blurriness and facial numbness. my doctor is baffled. eye doctor says eye is healthy, great vision, optic nerve looks good, pressures are good. blood work all normal ... varicella zoster IgG >4000 , IgM is negative. will be going to neurologist. can the flu vaccine cause this? did it lower my immune response and cause a trigger in the shingles virus? but i have no rash????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

about a month ago i got my moderna shot and about two weeks later, i started getting itchy down my left anus area to left buttcheek. thought it was pinworms but a week later bumps and rashes started showing up on the left side thats when i assume it must be shingles because i remember my cousin who had shingles when she was 18 describing that rashes appear either on left or right side of body. my doctor diagnosed it as shingles. i asked her if the covid shot may have caused this but she was adamant that there was no connection whatsoever...but reading everyones thread i think there must be a connection with getting vaccines and getting shingles.

• Posted

Hello,

Glad I found this forum and I am not alone with this pain.

I also received my second shot of Moderna and 2 days later I developed the shingles on my left side.

The shot can't cause Shingles because if you had chicken pox as a child the virus lies dormant. I was sick with a UTI a couple of weeks prior and it was the perfect storm once you ad the vaccine to the mix.

I think the CDC and FDA should be asking people on the form you fill out if they have ever had chicken pox and let the public know that there is a potential to get shingles.

Hope you all feel better.

• Edited

Hi, I am reading this & I am in total agreement. I had my Covid vaccine (astra zenica) on the 19/3/21, within 24 hours of having it I had a fever and my right eye was really painful and watering. I then started with swellings over the right side of my scalp which spread to the right of my face. I had extreme sensitivity and a strange type of headache. I thought I was having side effects to the vaccine so left it to run its course (big mistake). I few days later I visited my doctor & discussed this as being a side effect as I have previously had a very bad reaction to a flu jab. He wasn't sure but prescribed a short course of steroids. Two days later he confirmed I had shingles as I was in agony and unable to sleep and had the classic shingles rash on my eye and one side of my face. I am now on day 19 with shingles, still have extreme pain & sensitivity and look like I have been in an accident. I am going to report this through the yellow card scheme and would encourage everyone who has shingles after a vaccine to do the same. I would think there will be a lot of people who have suffered in the same way but not made the connection. The more people that report it the better! I now feel very worried about getting my 2nd vaccination in June. Take care ❤

• Posted

I also had the AstraZenica shot in May, and developed a bad case of shingles on my right side. Shocking how painful it is and how crappy I feel. I asked my doctor if there could be a connection to the shot (as I had read about 20 cases in Las Vegas following the vaccine) and he said he has heard anecdotal evidence to that effect - shingles and Bell's Palsy (similar mechanism to shingles) after the Covid shots. I'm glad I found this forum - good to know that I'm not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.