Shingles symptoms afrer 7 months

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had shingles last July until until November 2015

It started on my shoulder and went up the left  side of my face.

I was in bed for 6 weeks, could barely walk. I had anti viral tablets, but did not reach the 72 hour timeline for Prednisone .

The second week I developed Bells Palsy on the same side, my eye and face dropped.I could not close the eye .

By November i was pain free and  was almost  back to normal.

I was very slow walking with balance problems and by Christmas had a fuzzy head and memory problems. I kept thinking it would pass but it hasn't. My doctor did not know what was wrong.

I looked up symptoms on the net, which all said it sounded like Vestibular Neuritis, and it could be Ramsay Hunt Syndrome .

I had no pain or ear problems. They sugested it might be the 8th nerve connecting the ear to the brain causing the vertigo, my head is still very confused. My doctor has just started me on Prochlorperazine two days ago, I am hoping it will work .

Has any one else had these sort of compications ?

I am getting quite depressed with it all., and can't wait for it to go away.

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Christine... I contacted Shingles a month ago. I was hospitalised for 8 days by my GP. She recognized it immediately and admitted me. I'm 72, and the misery, the extreme malaise, made me wish I had never been born!!The hospital was like a torture chamber. The nurses and techs were constantly drawing blood, taking vitals, giving me opioids, etc,etc. I begged for death. Now, I'm home and taking care of myself. The pain is manageable. I take no pain meds because they make me extremely nauseous. My main problem is vertigo and extreme balance problems. And, I never feel confident to leave my apartment. Sometimes if I overdo walking I break out in extreme sweat and my scalp is drenched and have to sit down for a few hours. Have a follow up appointment with my GP next week. My stomach is extremely fragile... will not tolerate any opioids or mild pain meds. I wonder how much longer this horrible malaise and dizziness will last? Hope you do better than what I've been through.

• Posted

Hi there I was reading this information. Im 47 years old and I had shingles in my ear last year. The pain and itch were terrible and I ended up with terrible dizziness. It has been a year and still dizzy and confused. I wonder if this  would ever go away...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.