Shingles that just won't stop....

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am super frustrated right now...4 weeks ago I had my initial breakout (my 4th time having shingles at the age of 45). Background...I have panhypopituitarism caused by a sledding accident that makes my immune system weak. Anyway...4 weeks ago I broke out on my bracket & head following my occipital nerves on both sides of my head & 1 spot on my neck on the spine. 2 weeks later I broke out on my back, my head & neck broke out again, my face broke out on my chin & my mouth broke out. I was admitted to the hospital at that point with disseminated shingles and given IV antiviral, antibiotic & steroids and 5 days later got to go home. Fast forward 1 1/2 weeks to today.... I am breaking out again! My chin and back broke out in all new blisters last night and I feel so run down!!! I feel like if someone poked me with a pin I would just ooze puss and my breath smells like I have 'sore throat breath' (as my mom use to say)...but I don't actually have a sore throat!

I am super frustrated!! I have been using the antibiotic ointment on the shingles everyday since I got home from the hospital but I don't think it is making a difference! Has anyone had blisters keep appearing over & over like this just a week or two apart???

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't get the blisters but I do have outbreaks at least twice a month and I do get plenty of rest but something is drawing it out of us and I am really doing my best to learn why and prevent it in the future. I usually take more then the two anti virals per day when my symptoms are bad and they usually help however I usually feel awful and in a tremendous amount of pain for at least a day or two. I would taken an extra pill during these bad times and see if that helps. Mean while do as much research as poss.

• Posted

Ask for shingles immuization. It was given to me it lessened the duration and recurrance of breakouts. 

• Posted

I've had them 5 times and am not yet 50. I know that stress seems to be the key for me.

My Doctor has now given me a standing order for the anti-viral to start when I first get symptoms. This was due to walk in clinic Docs not understanding the symptoms before the breakout.

• Posted

Antibiotic ointments won't work as it is a virus.you need an anti-viral. But by the time you are in a full breakout it may be too late.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.