Shingles turning black

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi please help, i have had shingles now for 4-5 days now, but i have noticed the top part of my shingles on my back is turning black.

is this normal, or do i need to go back to my GP to be seen

its still really hurting & itching

i have been taken 3x different tablets but don't seem to be helping 

thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lauramarie,

The stages of vesicle-blisters:

1. clear fluid
    2. vesicles look like pimples- have white material
    3. Scab over and look black, when they have all scabbed over, you are no longer infectious.

It will still be extraordinarily painful, especially for the first two weeks. Hopefully, your clinician placed you on an antiviral an strong analgesic!

You should also rest and sleep!

Did your GP prescribe anything for the pain?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear, throat, and mouth every three weeks for the past 23 years.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Lauramariee

Ive read on line that shingles can turn purple black when healing, this is first time ive had them so not really sure if that information is corect? I have had my rash for 4weeks now, last week i thought they seemed darker purple but although they are now darker they still appear reddish purple? If you are in Brittain, ring nhs direct as they can advise whether its normal or to return to your gp.

Hope you recover very soon. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.