Shingles Vaccine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know if you can get vaccinated when suffering with PHN. I had shingles in July but still have scarred rash on my thigh and suffer with thigh feeling frozen with tingling sensation . The odd time I get little electric stabbing pain that comes and goes. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the vaccine after shingles breakout. It has lessoned the frequency and nerve tingles. It's important to receive the vaccine to slow down and in some cases can elevate shingles . According to the FDA the new vaccine is far better than the older one. Reading  the literature and my doctor helped with my decision. Never looked back. 

• Posted

Thank you hope.  I will be checking with my doctor this week to see if the shingrex vaccination  is available here in Canada. I sure hope it will help this PHN to lessen with the help of not getting another active shingles outbreak. 
  • Posted

Sheila,

There is no reason not to get it with PHN. Shingrex is 93% efficacious, a huge improvement over Zostavax. I plan to get it after I return from a vacation, even though I had a recurrent episode recently.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your response Merry. I will make an appointment to see my doctor and see if we have the shingrex vaccine available here in Canada. 
  • Posted

You should wait but I always have a case sometimes so mild I forget about it but a day later it’s there. I never went 30 days shingles free but if your case is visibly active then give a little more time. 
  • Posted

Just found out that the new Shingrex is being shipped out to drug stores, but if you are near a COSTCO, they have it now....
    • Posted

Costco In Canada and if so which province because I called Shopping Drug Mart and they still

don’t have it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.