Shingles watch...

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I was here back in mid January after figuring out I was a couple of weeks into a shingles outbreak. It cleared up a few weeks later and I was lucky to get back into my day to day. Running a business and in the midst of selling this house, renovations on the new house and trying to move. Over the past couple of months I've checked in here, reading to try to learn as much as I could to be prepared if I have a reoccurrence. 

So last night I was up all night, couldn't sleep (totally unlike me). Anyway it occurred to me throughout the day today that I was feeling flu like again, the odd upset stomach and odd pain, again on my left side. As I recall, this is how I felt last time about a week before the actual rash appeared. 

Anyway, I'll be reading along again. Hoping everyone else is having no or at least infrequent battles! 

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Annette,

Here is to the hope that you are wrong about a recurrence!

However, if you are having another episode, do not delay! Get on an antiviral, Valcyclovir or Famciclovir, preferably. They will definitely shorten the episode...These two Antivirals are more efficacious than Acyclovir. I certainly have insomnia for a week before any other symptoms appear.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I'm heading to Doc in the box tomorrow if all works out. I was just about to ask which antiviral to ask for so I can check on goodrx for best prices. The insomnia thing is so unlike me so glad to know I'm not the only one!

• Posted

Merry, just want to thank you for all the help you give here. I've spent much time reading here and you are always helpful, informative and totally appreciated! 

• Posted

You are not the only one!!! Insomnia is a key sign for me. It's so ironic! What we need to fight this off the most is sleep, but we can't get it!! I tend to have a rough time at night and then sleep so heavy during the day. The kind of sleep where you wake up and feel groggy. It's just aweful.

• Posted

Annette,

Insomnia is my first clue that I am doomed! I know just to go with the flow...Where do you live? Both Famvir and Valtrex are generic. Famvir are smaller tablets, and therefore easier to swallow. (I have difficulty​ swallowing when I get Herpes Zoster-Shingles as it affects my throat.)

Please let me know how you do....

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Annette,

I love doing this as I know how terrible this disease is and how excruciating the pain is. My experience the first episode was horrible, so if I can make anyone feel better, I am happy to put forth the effort.

I wish no one had PHN or recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles, let alone Herpes Zoster-Shingles

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, quick question. I'm asking you as I feel you are probably more current on meds and such as it relates to shingles. I did some research on Famciclovir and found a chart showing dosage for it's use depending on the age of patient and the virus being addressed. For my age(51) it says 500mg twice a day for 7 days. Whereas someone over 60 would get 500mg three times a day for 7 days. Does this sound correct? I'm not asking you to prescribe or commit to a specific, but having worked in the medical field I do know some docs can be outdated on info. I'd hate to go and they prescribe half of what would be indicated. 

• Posted

Annette,

The correct dosage for Famciclovir is

500 mg three times per day for all adults, regardless of age, for 7 to 10 days for an acute episode of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Only if you have kidney disease would they lower the dose.

I take Famvir-Famciclovir myself, and have

Stage 3 Kidney Disease, and still take 500 mg 3x daily for 7 days.

I hope that answers your question.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.