Shingles with a rare autoimmune disorder when can I catch a break

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 32 year old single mum of a 10 year old and have custody of my little brother because my mum and nan died unexpectedly last September I have a rare form of ms called neuromyelitis which caused me to go blind in both eyes for six months its a daily battle dealing with this disorder and it very nearly killed me. Now last week I have to the hospital 4 times and was so mistreated they told me I had eczema and called security on me when I asked to see the Dr I went to urgent care this week and found out I've had shingles since last week which is now turned into neurological pain I have the shingles in my head leading down my right side of my face I've been in pain for years dealing with my neuromyelitis bit this pain is unbareable I'm just crying in pain I'm on meds and pain meds but I'm not getting any relief. I'm scared because its close to my eyes and stress is something I can never go an hour without does anyone know how long I will feel this way I'm so scared this will send me into another attack which in turn may make me blind again and paralyzed I'm all my brother and son have and I can't even get out of bed to make them anything nor do I have anymore anymore to buy food or cover my bills in the coming week because I have spent over $700 on medications while being misdiagnosed I just got back to work last month after being sick my disorder and finally felt I could get us back on track and now I feel so disrailed can anyone just give me some advice I just feel so Alost and alone. Thank trying not to give up but when is it too much for one person to take

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had the same thing for eight months only mine is on the left side. I can tell you that it will get better. Some need to be treated for depression and I know the pain is unbearable my doctor put me on ready for Gabapentin and told me the last time I was on it to early. I started it 3 days ago and I think it's working. Don't get depressed although sonds like you have a right to be, but you have people that count on you. Good luck

• Posted

This is horrible!  My severe pain lasted two or three weeks but I'd had the shingles shot and was supposed to have a milder case.  I cannot imagine all of the stress you are under.  I hope you have a good support system nearby to give you some help.  It WILL get better, but I'm not sure when that will be.  It really angers me that you didn't get the correct diagnosis within 72 hours so the medications could have knocked this out before it exacerbated. 

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Your post is almost unbelievable because you have so many problems. Where do you live? Depending on what country you are in, you should be able to get decent medical help no matter how much money you have. Find a good urgent care you haven't bee to yet and explain how much you are suffering. Someone surely must be able to help you. Also, contact social services in your area; they should also be able to send a social worker out to help with your children. I sense that you are having severe anxiety and panic attacks, as well. So, you have to concentrate on trying to relax by telling yourself you aren't alone and will be through this troublesome time. Ask for a counselor who you can see on a regular basis for talk therapy. Change your diet so that you are not eating sugar and junk food. Try to focus on something positive even if it is just calling a friend or family member. Good luck. 

• Posted

I am so so sorry for you Emma

I hope by now you have found help from somewhere.

You so need to be under a good doctor and welfare help with the kids.

The shingles can take months to heal , and you need good meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.