Shingles with lumbar pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

First I had, what the dr thought, was enteritis. A week following that, I had an itchy rash on my areola, that looked like ringworm. The dr treated it as a fungal infection. Followed by headaches and dizziness. Last night, I was sitting in a chair and moved slightly and developed a sudden, intense pain in my lumbar area. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk. I called the chiropractor, as I thought it was a slipped disc. He told me to go to the Er to get muscle relaxers,then to him the next day. As I was ready to go to the Er, and pulling on my underwear, my hand was wet from touching my hip. I felt a bump and thought it was a spider bite.The dr was just going to do back xrays and had her look at my bump and told her about my wet hand(which was a blister popping) and she said I have shingles. I still wanted the x-ray and it showed new, mild degenerative damage. I was given acyclovir, prednisone and to put capsaicin on my rash. Burned awful. Now, am getting a weird pain in my pelvis, almost like bad period pain but I am 67. I had a shingles vaccine 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a huge amount of stress and see no way around it. I have Sjogren's, so am worried I will get sicker. Any advice?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are suffering with this horrid virus. You mentioned you are under stress at the moment and also suffer from Sjogrens - although it's really hard just now, I feel that developing a way of relaxing is key to helping the body recover from illness or imbalance (as well as taking the meds!) I was laid low for years with Chronic fatigue syndrome after several viruses and diabetes getting out of control. I tried so many alternative therapies (most of which went some way to improving my symptoms) but the most useful and I feel effective treatment I experienced was deep relaxation, technique taught by a therapeutic hypnotherapist. So after half an hour listening to a recording lying on my bed, my brain was relaxed and energised, and I was able to carry on with daily tasks, work etc. You may feel too pressurised to want to try this! But search out a good CD online (I'll try to send a link later). It's 30 minutes worth investing in. When we are a little more relaxed the body's healing powers can work more effectively than when everything is on "high alert". I need to follow my own advice just now as I have a bout of shingles which I'm zapping with antivirals and I'm feeling very tired!

• Posted

Thank you for the reply I am working with a therapist on mindfulness, which is another calming technique. My oldest kids dad just died 3 months ago and supported them by driving long distance and now my youngest two kids, all adults, are dealing with the same situation with their dad. My relationship with my youngest kids is not stable and they are both volatile.My daughter may possibly show up at my door on a visit, which isn't good. The shingles on my back are burning so bad and feel like they are on fire. I have terrible back pain. Ibuprofen isn't cutting it but don't like taking narcotics but may have to.The prednisone is making me edgy and irritable. Sure hope you get your shingles under control. Take care. p.s. would love to listen to the video you suggested

• Posted

I too would be interested in the relaxation cd. I am now eight weeks with shingles. Rash still on my back groin and thigh although it has healed it is dark red and still getting burning pain. I am taking X strength tylonal to manage the discomfort. 
    • Posted

The CD I mentioned was one I read a recommendation for by Glenn Harrold . In fact there are a whole series of hypnotherapy based CDs for particular problems and I think they are available as mp3 downloads as well. The one I have is called Heal your Body but I'm thinking of getting Complete Relaxation and I think that might be a better one to start with? I'm in the UK and the CDs are produced here and Glenn Harrold is English. I'll try to add a link but otherwise a google search will find it. To get benefit from relaxation I think you really have to practice it often, daily even. It can help to bring down pain levels, particularly nerve type pains in my experience. Good luck to you both, Susan and Sheila. Niccy

www.hypnosisaudio.com/collections/relaxation-hypnosis-cds-mp3s/mp3

• Posted

Dear Susan,

Please forgive the delay in responding to your email.

The pain in your pelvis is following the same dermatologist as the involved hip, if it is on the same side.

It is better to treat the pain aggressively, ie with Opioids, as pain left untreated can turn into Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

Also, you need to rest and sleep as the virus circulates throughout your body. You cannot power through this. If you over do it, you pay for it.

Some individuals have find cool compresses or ice packs help soothe the pain.

Others find Solarcaine with Aloe helpful as it contains Lidocaine, which numbs the nerve endings.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years.

I also have Sjogrens, ITP, and Psoriasis. I have had less painful episodes and less frequent episodes now as the stress has decreased markedly in my life.

I am 65 years old.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.