Shingles without rash...?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all

Ive been having these weird symptoms lately... About 3 weeks ago i became unbelievably itchy.. No rash, apots, no new detergents/soaps nothing. I even had what people online have referred to as "zingers" in the groin area but all i found was that it happened to pregnant women... I havent been pregnant in 12 years, anywho...

Yesterday i felt a lump right in fromt of my right ear mear my jaw. I started to feel weak and had a "sensitive to the touch" by my right eyebrow. Then within an hoir or so it got worse... Spreading down to my chin and back towards the middle of my head. It was like a stabbing/sharp unbearable pain. So my bf took me to the ER and they diagnosed me with shingles... Gave me a shot for pain and sent me home with valtrex and pain meds... I started having diarrhea last night and whn i woke up it feels like my right ear is numb to the touch... Almost like when ur leg falls asleep and u hit it to wake it up, to no avail. Ive taken my 3rd dose of the valtrex this am and i feel like i bench pressed a buick. I have a low grade fever of 100, joint pain and fatigue... Is this normal for shingles? Or it depends on when u caught it? I am a nurse but habe NEVER dealt with this.... Any help would be appreciated

Thx

Nicole

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry Nicole. Many people on this site speak of flu like symptoms with their episodes. I seem to get sore throat and cold symptoms. The fatigue is crazy, out of this world. Your description is perfect , "I feel like I bench pressed a Buick" . My best advise is that even when you are feeing better, rest, rest, rest!!!! Give your body lots of time to heal. Take care

• Posted

Thank you so much Michelle! Ive definitely been resting, staying hydrated and just trying to get better. Sounds odd perhaps but my sons birth didnt hurt as much as this does... Ive felt a bit tired today but managed to take a lavender bath to relax my muscles...
  • Posted

Hi Nicole, sorry to hear that your not feeling too good, Do you have your own doctor, that you could visit, also keep a diary  is any of your pain like stinging nettles pain.   is it very sensertive to touch I am on a lot of meds in the UK, which some times keeps the pain at bay, but when I get up set or worrying about some  issues. today I was going out to a group  meeting for the W I, and noticed along side a wall was a small kitten, looks like it was hit by a car, I pulled up and yes it was the cat I know.  and it could have not be dead  for long as it was still warm (sorry)  this blew my PHN to rocket level, and as I was away from home  I did not have any meds with me, or an ice pac.  it took me a long time to come down from the pain.  I dont wish this pain on my worse  enamy.  try ice packs or some people find heat helps, I wish you well, keep in touch on here Jocelyne  from Cambridge  uk
    • Posted

Thank you Jocelyn..! Is PHN something you got after he shingles resolved? I was seen in the ER but have an appt with my PCP on Wednesday. Im on a course of valtrex 3xs a day for 7 days and they gave me some pain meds also. Ive just been doing some reading online on other symptoms and what to possibly expect. After all ive had, no rash yet.. That seems to be a commom factor
    • Posted

Yes, post herpetic neuropathy. The virus can do damage to your nerves that can take a long time to heal. Not all people with sgingles get this. Pray for that not to be you.
  • Posted

Hi Nicole,

I am so sorry for your suffering. It sounds as if you have "Zoster sine herpete," or Shingles without the rash. With Herpes Zoster-Shingles, the "pre-eruption phase" formerly called prodromal phase, starts with symptoms such as headache, fever, chills, sweating, aches and pains, malaise, weakness, fatigue, photophobia, etc usually 1-3 weeks prior to the onset of pain. The pain occurs supposedly up to 5 days before the eruption or rash appears. In my case, the rash took three weeks to appear. I had Ramsay Hunt Syndrome or Shingles in my ear. Believe me, induced labor with pitocin was an 11, and this was a 22! I literally wanted to cut out my inner ear. It took the third ENT to diagnose me. The first two thought I was narcotic seeking. The third one, an otoneurologist, believed me that something was terribly wrong. I lost my hearing on my acoustic nerve and have a slight facial droop as it affects my facial nerve when I am tired.

The symptoms can be devastating. I am not sure exactly where the pain has centered on you. I do know you must rest, sleep, and rest. The fatigue can last months. Take the Valtrex as prescribed. Are the analgesics giving you pain relief. I get recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. The only things that relieves my pain are the following:

Opioids for the excruciating pain- I am on oxycodone for the first three to five days.

Topamax 100 mg po BID, which is an anticonvulsant. It helps to reduce the amount of neuropathic pain and prevent future development of Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN.)

Auralgon Otic Drops, which contain benzocaine, a local anesthetic, and keep the superficial nerve endings from firing. It is very soothing.

What I am saying is that I have a therapeutic program that works for me so I can go on living my life with the least amount of disruption.

Shingles is one of the most excruciating conditions known to man. If you are still suffering from pain, notify your physician and tell him you need something stronger. If he refuses, time to get a new physician.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States. Please let me know how I can help you. The symptoms you described sound like shingles-zoster, especially the excruciating pain. Please keep me posted on your condition.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

Thank you so much for the insight... My pain started late Saturday to Sunday with a stiff neck and mild sensitivity above my eye.. By late sunday i was in excruciating pain the whole right side of my head back.. The gave me valtrex a shot of toradol and some percocets to take home. I woke up monday and felt like i benched pressed a buick! Every joint hurt and my right ear was numb.. It got a lil better as the day went on, today i wake up and same thing.. My right ear is even more numb and my joints felt sharp pain. I shuffle like fred flintstone when i walk... And my throat hurts (which they said i had a few blisters in my throat) im set to see my PCP tomorrow. Im just scared as a nurse and asking for meds which seem to help. Ive taken motrin and that doesnt touch it. I started with a slight headache last night as well... And funny you mention topamax... I was on that for migraines on/off for 5 years. I had to stop it last year for un related reasons. Could that have brought this about? I am miserable

• Posted

Nicole,

With Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, the throat can be affected. At first, I had generalized halfhead pain, then eye pain, then the pain centralized to the ear. As the nerve roots are so close together in the head, it is common to have several dermatomes affected. Do you still have Percocet? The pain of Zoster in the head tends to be more intense, as it is difficult to disassociate the head from the pain. Make certain you have enough Percocet for several weeks.

Topamax certainly did not bring shingles on. Stress is a common factor.

Also, if you are immunocompromised with autoimmune diseases such as SLE, Psoriasis, ITP, Rheumatoid arthritis, or Sjögrens Syndrome; or you have cancer or are taking corticosteroids, all can precipitate shingles.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes Merry i still have a few Percocets left frm the hospital... I see my PCP tomorrow so hopefully she'll prescribe me something else.. I have to be careful cause i had bw done recently and my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and i have to stay away from too much tylenol, and as you know Percocet has tylenol.. Idk what else she can prescribe me. I was tested recently for Lymes and RA and they both came out negative.. As far as the other autoimmune diseases i dont have...

Thank you again and ill let u know what she says..

• Posted

Nicole,

She can prescribe oxycodone. I can't take Tylenol either, as it messes with the INR. I am on Coumadin.

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.