SHINGREX, New Vaccine Approved by FDA for Shingles!

Posted , 10 users are following.

To All Shingles and potential Shingles sufferers!

News > Medscape Medical FDA Approvals

FDA Clears Shingles Vaccine Shingrix for Adults 50 and Older

October 23, 2017

GlaxoSmithKline's recombinant zoster vaccine (adjuvanted) (Shingrix) has been approved in the United States for the prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults aged 50 years and older.

The approval follows a unanimous vote last month by the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that the vaccine is effective and safe for adults aged 50 years and older.

Shingrix combines an antigen, glycoprotein E, and an adjuvant system, AS01B, intended to generate a strong and long-lasting immune response that can help overcome the decline in immunity as people age, the company explained in a news release. Shingrix is given in two doses, with a 2- to 6-month interval between doses.

"Shingrix represents a significant scientific advancement in the field of vaccinology," Thomas Breuer, MD, senior vice president and chief medical officer, GSK Vaccines, said in the release. "The risk and severity of shingles increases with age as the immune system loses the ability to mount a strong and effective response to infection. Shingrix was developed specifically to overcome the age-related decline in immunity," he said.

The approval of Shingrix was based on a phase 3 clinical trial program that evaluated the drug's efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity in more than 38,000 people. In a pooled analysis of these studies, the vaccine demonstrated efficacy against herpes zoster of greater than 90% in adults aged 50 and older and in those aged 70 and older. Efficacy was sustained during the 4-year follow-up period.

The most common side effects reported in the clinical trials were pain, redness, and swelling at the injection site. Most reactions were transient and were mild to moderate in intensity, lasting fewer than 3 days.

According to the company, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) is expected to vote on a recommendation for the use of Shingrix at a meeting scheduled for October 25, the company said. "Following this approval from FDA, and pending a recommendation from ACIP, Shingrix will be available shortly," the company said.

Shingrix was approved in Canada earlier this month for the prevention of herpes zoster in people aged 50 years or older. Regulatory filings in the European Union, Australia, and Japan are underway.

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Well I believe that's good news. But personally, I'm always leery of new breakthroughs like this. I'll wait until a few million other people try it first. I had a Guillian Barre-type reaction to a flu shot about 10 years ago and can't have one now. I'm sure others will be more eager than I and will welcome the news and opportunity.

• Posted

I have been watching for this news and am so excited!   Merry, I especially hope it will be the end of this long ordeal for you.   Do you know if approval for age 50 and over means a person MUST be over 50 to get it, or will a doctor have the right to provide it to younger people with a history of recurring shingles outbreaks?   I'm currently taking 500 mg Valtrex per day for suppression.  Do you know if I need to stop taking it a certain amount of time before getting the new vaccine?    Thanks for sharing this news!

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

I don't know any of the details, as yet, unfortunately. You know the horrific game of insurance companies. They might get smart and figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I am unaware of the need to stopping the antiviral before getting Shringrix.

Best Wishes to you.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for letting us know Merry 🤗Hope you're feeling better - we really appreciate you 💐

• Posted

Wonderful news Merry.I'm thinking you might be cautiously optimistic that this vaccine might at last be the one which will stop your recurrent bouts with this 'orrible virus.I really do hope so.X

• Posted

Thank you, Beth! Since I have followed the high Lysine low Arginine diet, the frequency of episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles has decreased markedly! It may also be related to the partial mastectomy and radiation therapy ie the breast cancer and radiation can trigger Herpes Zoster-Shingles, but with tincture of time, less stress, and the diet, I am much better.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry are you Merry Juliana that I have spoken to about shingles on other occasions? I am so excited about the new vaccination coming out and am wondering how you feel about it. Your friend. Diane. 
    • Posted

Hi Diane!

First,

I hope you are doing better.

The Shingrex vaccine manufactured from a killed virus, rendering it safer for all who take it. It contains an adjuvant that boosts its efficacy to 93%, that does not want over time.

The Zostavax is a live vaccine. The efficacy rate is 53-37%, a dismal rate. The older one is, the less effective it is.

I do not know if one has had recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles, if Shingrex will be effective in reducing or eliminating the disease.

I plan on getting the vaccine once it is offered, however.

I do consume a High Lysine Low Arginine Diet. I also had an exceptionally low Vitamin D level and take Vitamin

D3 2000 IU daily. I believe both the High Lysine diet and Vitamin D3 have contributed to markedly decreased episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Vitamin D3 is necessary for a healthy immune response.

Merry Christmas

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello again. Yes thank you I am at least fighting off shingles with the meds and I too plan to take the new vaccine as soon as it becomes available. 

I have been wondering if you would take it. I'm so hopeful that it will help you in particular because you have suffered the longest. 

Thank you for all the information on the new vaccine. 

God bless and Merry Christmas. 

Diane

• Posted

The message should have said "wane"over time.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

My smart phone thinks it spells better than I do! LOL

MERRY JULIANA

• Posted

So does mine. And sometimes it does. At other times it torments mesmile

Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.