Shingrex Vaccination

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I finally did it, got my first Shingrex shot yesterday with no side effects so far. A bit sore around injection site but only if I touch it.  I had shingles last July around my back, groin and thigh and suffered for three months  and still have some frozen and swelling in my groin and thigh. I waited for ten months to get this vaccine in Canada 🇨🇦 and cost $300 for two shots!  Could I afford it? Not really but made the decisions to get it as I never ever want to go through the pain of shingles again This new vaccine has a 95% go protection. I am 76 years old and thought my immune system will continue to weaken and the chance of that old virus living inside might just come back again . Wishing everyone who is suffering a speedy recovery,..

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So glad you were able to get the shot!! I have reoccurring shingles and was told I couldn't get the vaccine until I have been shingles free for 1 year. I realize you were almost at a year, but I seem to have break outs every 2-4 months. My doctor told me it was too dangerous to get this vaccine until a year has passed. What did they tell you??? Gayleen

• Posted

I can’t afvise but I was told I had to wait until rash cleared.  I would be afraid to wait for one year if you are getting reoccurring episodes then you will never get your time in to receive it.  I’m not sure that the doctors know what to do as this vaccine is so new.  For me I took shot because I didn’t want to suffer again.  You could google it and find out for sure.  Thanks for your input 
  • Posted

Sheila,

Good for you! I am on a pension, as well. When I see my new internist for a second time, I intend to ask for the prescription! Thank you for the update!

I hope your Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN starts to resolve.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you Merry. I kept putting off getting the shot for the last few weeks as I had a few social events to attend and I was afraid of any side effects, but all is well so far. I still take a pregabalin once a day for PHN  which does seem to be improving somewhat.  I just read where one person was advised by their doctor to wait one year after shingles and I was told as soon as rash was cleared...what is your thought on that ?  I appreciate your expertise help on this forum..Take care and hope you can get your shot soon 
    • Posted

Sheila,

As I have Herpes Zoster-Shingles as often as every 2-3 weeks currently, but maximum, the frequency was spread to 3-6 months, I would never receive Shingrex at that rate.

I did have Zostavax shortly after an episode, and it certainly did help, but it didn't make it worse than it already was.

I believe the medical establishment fear a more severe reaction, if followed closely to an episode, but they do not have any data to back it up. Glaxo Smith Kline have not researched individuals who have already had Shingles or recurrent Shingles.

My personal thought is the physicians who state to wait a year are protecting themselves, but are ignorant about the immune system.

I would definitely wait until I feel better, the rash cleared completely, ie, 6-8 weeks after onset of symptoms, if possible.

Please feel better, soon.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Bless your heart Shelia! So happy you got the first dose of the vaccine smile Happy to hear that. I've been down with another outbreak, so truly sorry for my delay responding and also for answering your messages probably out of order. So happy for you and I agree it is the best decision. There are few afflictions as debilitating as shingles and if given the chance to never have it again, anyone who has had it before would surely be running for that vaccine. I will be thinking positive for you and for us all, friend. You take care and stay well : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.