Shingrix vacine Should I get if have PHN? Concerned about Side effects? Long Term?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

To my dismay, I'm back on this forum again! Although I'm super grateful to have found it....sooooooo much great info!!!

I'm not sure I should get the new Shingrix vaccine cuz my body seems to have severe bad reactions to drugs & supplements!

Oct 7th, 2018 Severe reaction to antibiotic Amox-clav 500-125 including triggering PHN...Internal Shingles nerve pain on my chest & abs...no rash this time.

Currently PHN is decreasing and being able to sleep thru the night. I use cold packs from freezer on chest during day. Now that I'm aware of what the pain is, I'll get a topical spray, since drugs just seem to make me feel sicker.

Last Oct 2017 I had my FIRST case of Shingles...under Left boob. Rash went away but took 2 months to recover enough to exercise again.

Last May,2018 Had Extremely SEVERE reaction/allergic to IV Iodine Contrast that triggered a 2nd Shingles attack...under Right boob. At same time had a super bad Contact Rash Reaction that overshadowed the Shingles rash. I had severe side effects to all the different drugs I was given!

By mid-Aug finally feeling well, but in mid-Sept came down with light head cold, sinus infection. Then Oct 4th came down with first case of Diverticulitis which is why I needed the antibiotics.

My Shingles PHN is getting worse as this day progresses.

I have done alot of research on Shingrix vaccine and would love to take it, but I am afraid its going to make me worse!!!???....and maybe even long-term worse? since it seems my body reacts to almost all drugs & supplements.

I'd appreciate your input???

Your experience with getting the Shingix vaccine?

Should I get it at all in my case?

Wait till after my PHN is gone?

Get it even with my PHN pain?

Thanks!

MarthaSD

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HELLO Martha

Finally there is some one here as sensitive as myself! I an afraid of the new shingrex vaccine as well! I am sensitive to drugs and vaccines! THe last vaccine and only was a flu s**t and had to go to the ER because of the heavy flu it gave me! I have had shingles since February 2018 and like every 4 months i get a mild case!

The burning and the itch and then the rash! I am taking a liw dose of anti virals bow for 7 days and hope its gone soon! I have PHN too and cant take the usually of gabastatin and so i just take advil! If yiu are just like me we shiuld bit take the vaccine!

Many have taken it and has thrown them to bed for a week! The worse of it they still after 8 months of taking the vaccine still get shingles!!!

SO why suffer more!!! Let me know what yiu decide ok!!

Best wishes

Myrna

• Posted

Hi Mryan,

Thks for your reply! Boy, you sound even more sensitive than myself!?

I got the flu shoot last Dec after I was recovered from my first Shingles attack and was fine. so perhaps I'm not as sensitive as you?

I think I may be more sensitive now cuz of the different medicines I've been on for 1st time over last 12 months.

I've only been given the antiviral once...and that was a year ago. Do you find it helps with the PHN? Do you experience side effects? If so, what?

Besides the ice packs, I do take ibprofen...which my body is used to cuz I've been an exercise person all my life!

That's dishearting news about many have gotten Shringrix, then in bed for week and still get Shingles after 8 months!!!

I'm leaning towards getting it after my PHN is gone, and I'm feeling well/normal. Since my 2nd two shingles attacks were triggered by drugs not related to shingles, and I'm convinced that shingles only occured because of those drugs, I'm thinking/hoping my reaction to shingrix vaccine would be mild....and of course it works!!!

So have you decided to definately Not get Shingrix vaccine?

Hope you are feeling well soon!!!

Martha in San Diego

• Posted

Hi Martha,

First, Shingrex is a killed virus vaccine, unlike some other vaccines. While there is no question you will feel ill after the injection, it is a question of would you rather have recurrent Shingles, which will happen, BTW, or have a week or two at the most of a reaction to Shingrex.

I have anaphylaxis to many medications.

I had the first dose of Shingrex probably 6-7 weeks ago. By now I would have had three disabling episodes of Shingles in my right ear, mouth, throat, and entire right scalp. Instead, I had one barely discernable rash on my scalp, with no other symptoms. The immune system takes at least 2 months to build up the antibodies. That means Shingrex is already working at partial dose, as I need the second dose in a couple of weeks.

I have had Shingles every 3 weeks for the past 22 years.

I took the Shingrex just after an episode.

My arm was sorer than a tetanus shot, but the same as a typhoid vaccine.

Yes, after the vaccination, I felt exhausted, had chills, sweating, a low grade fever, generalized aches and pains for a few days, but I did not have the severe agonizing neurogenic pain and spasms that lasts for weeks and months that comes with Shingles.

To me, the Shingrex offers the hope of a decrease of Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN, which it is doing, and a marked decrease in the severity and frequency of recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It is delivering on that, as well.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

Thks so much for your write-up and encouragement!!! Great to hear its effective against reoccuring shingles and PHN!

My PHN is mild, compared to most. But it is bad enough, that my active exercise life-style is no more....for now.

I would think I should wait till after my PHN is gone and I'm feeling well/normal. What do you think?

Thanks!

Martha

• Posted

Myrna, I am really sorry to hear what are going through, I am just getting over my first bout of shingles. I started on versatis patch on Tuesday and it seemed to work, I felt myself getting in good form. Doctor says I will be on them for about six months, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I wish I could help, but all I can do is wish you some peace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.