Shock to the system

Posted , 14 users are following.

Now 6 days post op and look like I've been thrown off a fast moving train! Pain relief has been rubbish as I was twice given tramodol whichbi am allergic to.Then codeine which made me nauseous and sleepy. However now on track and csn hobble about kitchen and bathroom unaided. The nurse told me yesterday that swollen ankles was normal and sometimes a bag of frozen peas placed on genitals (bikini line) can reduce the swelling in the groin and allow better blood flow. I also didn't understand that you need to lie flat in afternoon to let blood flow as easily as possible in groin area to help reduce swelling. Everyone on these forums seems so positive. Hopefully I will feel a bit better later.

The physio said the younger you are the longer it takes. Because you take bigger faster strides and are more active. In jher words, if you are 85 and potter around then you get back to this more quickly thamb someone younger wanting to go back to work

6 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In April this year I had a revision to my hip replacement and pain relief was an issue. Certainly if you cant take tramadol ask for co codamol and they SHOULD offer you oral morphine and if they say you cant take it outside the hospital you should take the attitude I did, I know they do prescribe outside so make it happen.  You can when out get morphine patches (which you change every 3 days) and these are worthwhile short term to ensure you get enough rest as this is the key to your recovery.  Everyone is diferent with recovery, some fast, some slow. Just take your time and chill. It isnt a quick fix and rest is extremely important, it helps you feel better mentally too if you are well rested. Eat well, as once you are moving the weight should disappear as long as you dont eat sweeties by the truckload! I put on half a stone which disappeared once moving. Use the ice, or at home peas make a great ice pack and can be defrosted and re frozen as much as you like (just dont eat them afterwards!) and they mold around the body well too. I had 2 bags of cheap value peas marked do not eat.
  • Posted

Hi Kate

Sorry your in pain I was for about 3 days after I was discharged, couldn't get comfortable but I was sent home with codeine and paracetamol and in the hospital was on OxyContin ibruprofin and codeine so struggled for a while to reajust😁 I think when your physio says it takes longer for younger people to heal I don't think that's the case, I just think we are more impatient and expect to heal quicker because we are younger and fitter, not the case. Try not to rush everything as it just takes time. Everyone on this lovely forum will tell you we all heal at different stages depending on how we were before. I'm 55 was 54 when had op didn't have any problems with the healing process but a colleague of mine had the same op same age and was doing walking with 1 cane and I couldn't do it needed 2 then when walking with one knee flairs up😁 went back to work after 13 weeks then hurt my back all things that was really seemed to put me back but had physio swam and then everything seemed to come together at once and I felt good again. 10 months down the line for me and I still get the odd ache and twinge mainly after exercise but I used to get that before my op, so keep us informed of your progress and any question ask this lovely bunch and somebody will have words of wisdom to guide you, I did

Good luck

Vicki xx😀😀😀

• Posted

Gel packs are really good as you can cool or warm them depending on your needs, give them a try!
  • Posted

Hi kate

i am 7 weeks post op, I didn't probably start sleeping well until around week 4, I found propped up in bed, sleeping for a few hours.

then four weeks plus I started to use my u pillow(12ft pregnancy pillow)

i like Lynne, lie with the bend of the u under my pillows, with the legs either side of me, then bend the op side of the pillow leg , this is then In between your knees when you roll over to your good side...

1) shows on side with the other side supporting your body whilst on your side

2) knee in between pillow

3) different angle 

4) on bed at start

hope this makes sense,

linzi xx

• Posted

Sorry Picts out of order! 

Linzi xx

• Posted

Thanks Linzi ... I always had a "body pillow" when living in L.A. ( to keep me cool during the night) - didn't bring it with me to Holland, thinking I could buy one here ... no such thing - but I have heard about this pregancy pillow and will purchase one today .. thanks for the pics ... I hope they are full body though - you know, huggable - I 

love ya'

renee

• Posted

There are pillows available which are shaped like a figure 6

My niece has one so if you think it will work I will go and borrow it

Thanks

Kate x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.