Shoe help?!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hiya

I have been for my 3 month check up today, all healing well and bones fusing just some swelling in the tissue as to be expected.  I was told I can't wear any shoes that have a flexible sole, I've been through everything I own and that's a no no then lol, does anyone have any suggestions of nice shoes with a solid sole but not going to hurt too much over the scar?

Thanks all

Clara

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What are u waring at the moment x been told to take trainers when I go back in 3 weeks but only had op 2 jan xxx  at the rate I’m going , I no I won’t be able to put them on x

• Posted

Not sure, as I'm still in a boot myself for a few more weeks and haven't bothered trying anything on yet, but perhaps Alegria, Dansko, Naot, or Born shoes? I have a pair of Borns that I like. I'm in healthcare though so those are typically more expected in my field, not sure about for your needs. Let me know what you end up getting! 

• Posted

Hi Clara

I am in a similar situation and its 4 months on 10th Feb since my bunionectomy and neuroma op.The only footware that I can walk in is a pair of Sketcher fur lined boots that have a quilted leg. They are wide and like slippers.Im struggling with the first digit on my big toe and the top of my foot being swollen and cant bare the seams of socks against my scar.I turn them inside out or go barefoot around in my Sketcher boots at £70 pr !!

• Posted

Hi Clara,

I believe I have an understanding of the footwear you require, that specifically addresses causes of bunion pain. Of course this is the structural component usually addressed by surgery and of course the functional component that is usually not explored clinically all that often, being the underlying root and CAUSE of bunion pain and its associated osteoarthritic / fused condition. This footwear eliminates pain by addressing the cause from the inside of the footwear. This works to either eliminate or prevent pain, but also works for 18 muscular skeletal pain conditions and over 50 separate pain condition variants.

What is essentially addressed is the precise exact cause of bunion pain as just mentioned from a functional and structural perspective, which is related to 3 specific factors that increases the deterioration of the hallux bone, making it become osteoarthritic and painful.

1. The first is the structural deformity itself, which is fused and immobile. In most cases the 1st Ray or big toe is also deviated toward the lesser toes. Therefore, this causes toe off during your gait cycle to occur across the medial side of the toe leading to thickened hard skin along the big toe.    

This deviation also causes the lesser toes to become pushed together, which can squeeze the neural pathways between these lesser toes leading to a condition called metatarsal pain. The result of this can be intense sharp pain along the forefoot.

2. Both these conditions are made worse by a usually high forefoot varus angle, which is an Inherited Biomechanical functional element, which when measured is higher than 7°. This alone is the underlying root and CAUSE of bunion pain. When walking this high forefoot varus angle increases what is known as lateral foot role and the foot not only becomes more unstable but comes from a great height and crashes down onto the hallux bone, during the gait cycle. This occurs just before the upper body weight moves forward and the big toe is activated to push off. This is what causes osteoarthritis and leads to greater wearing of the hallux bone and bunion formation.

3. One factor very rarely investigated when examining bunions and fused hallux bones is responsible for causing and making this bunion osteoarthritic and that is a structural leg length discrepancy. 

See with a measured longer leg of a discrepancy over 5mm, the forefoot angle just spoken about must become higher during the gait cycle, to get the big toe through the entire gait cycle, as the foot is in greater contact with the ground. This increases the rate of degeneration of the hallux joint, as the height of the forefoot varus angle is increased; the hallux bone has a greater height to come crashing down from.      

However, with a shorter leg of just 5mm the gait cycle becomes interrupted and the forefoot must come down faster to toe off sooner, as the foot is in less contact with the ground. Therefore, the foot forces the toes to stab the ground whilst trying to get the toes to the ground faster. This also increases the rate of degeneration of the hallux bone.

Just a foot note here is that 86% of the world’s population actually have a structural leg length discrepancy, and 85% of this 86% have between a 4mm to 6mm discrepancy. All these exact contributing issues must be addressed all at once and all at the same time, to prevent any further damage and degeneration. I’m sure my recommendation could help you out, as both the structural and functional components are addressed all at the same time.

Good luck and I hope this further information is of help.   

• Posted

I am preparing for both bunion surgery on my left foot and later surgery for hallux limitus on my right foot.  From reading online, I discovered the most comfortable shoe for me was a New Balance rocker bottom shoe.  I got a wide size to accommodate the bunion.  They have rigid soles, which help to keep my foot from bending.  My podiatrist said it was a good shoe.  

• Posted

Hi Clara and others here!

You may want to consider getting shoes with a wide toe box and a level 0-3mm drop between the ball and heel.  I am currently 5 1/2 weeks post op Bunionectomy on RT foot (Austin w 2 titanium screws + bone spur shaved off top of foot) with some complications in this recovery journey (will save that for another post).  And so with all the time I've had thus far was able to do much research on this very topic of shoes, among others.  Here are some brands/models that fit the bill (wide toe box, low drop, priced reasonably, decent looking) for my usual outdoor activities, most of which are recommended and approved by podiatrists/surgeons:

Topo Athletics - most models, but ideally the ST2 and MT2 lines.

Astral Designs - most models, especially all under the new TR1 line.

Both brands have all the technical details of each model on their website for you to check out.  Topo has convenient comparison charts for both genders which has been helpful in my research.  

I have a pair of the Astral TR1 Treks and love them!  Originally bought these mid last year (6 months prior to Bunionectomy) to replace former/retired water shoes for when I'd go kayaking.  However when I received these was quite pleased w the fit and comfort that I'm considering additional pairs.  I love these TR1 Trek's so much that they are my everyday go to casual shoes on dry land and have yet to wear them in the water just to preserve them, but am glad to be prepared for when I get back in the water.  I'm usually a size 9B womens in regular width for usual shoes/boots, 8.5B in sandals/flip flops, and usually size up to roomier 9.5B for athletic and winter shoes.  And since I'm picky when it comes to color coordination, chose the charcoal gray TR1 Trek mens size 8 (equivalent to 9.5 womens) and couldn't be more pleased!  Even my podiatrist surgeon approved months prior to surgery!  He's an avid runner/athlete, and known to climb mountains and such so his opinion and approval meant a lot to me.  When I was 2.5wks post op and hobbling w crutches past the shoe rack here @ home dared to try these on when swelling was moderate and was able to get them on with some effort by loosening the laces.  Earlier this week at 5wks post op w minimal swelling was able to get them on quickly w ease even while wearing Injinji toe socks on and still had room to spare in the toe box.  I'm sadden w the thought of knowing most of my shoes prior to this surgery may no longer fit for more than 3 hours, but will hold on to them until post op 12 month mark just in case.  Meanwhile, a pair of Topo MT2s are on the way from REI and, depending on how that fits, will scoop up a pair of ST2s or else it'll be another pair of Astral TR1s.

Let us know what you decide for your particular needs.  Would love to know and learn what others get too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.