Shoe lifts

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just started with my boot yesterday,  Last time I used a boot I ended up with a SI joint dysfunction because my lower back is fused and I was off balance.   I have tried putting 3 lifts in my shoe and I am still not even so I am afraid my back will once again go out.  What has anyone used to balance out their gait so their good foot was even with the one with the boot on?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Megamom,

That's a really good question-- those big bulky air boots can really throw height difference off between boot foot and good foot shoe. Resulting imbalance has been known to cause pain in other joints (hip and knees, for example).

It's the same old story-- everything in body is connected to everything else ("the hip bone's connected to the thigh bone, the bone's connected to the ..."winklol

A solution many patients (including yours truly) have used is the evenup shoe balancer. You can find it online, and I'm sure in many retail orthopedic stores.

• Posted

Funny, I was researching and just found this product and ordered it.  My PT had never heard of it so we are excited to see how it works for me.
  • Posted

Go online and buy an EvenUp shoe lift. It works well with athletic type shoes, but probably not so well with other shoes, although it might if you happen to wear a wide width. I used one when I was in a boot because I have a knee replacement in the non-surgical leg and I didn't want to cause problems with that. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, the boot I was given is for nonweightbearing status.  Don't know if it will be used for when I'm allowed to weightbear.  I go back to the ortho doc tomorrow.  Originally I was told no weightbearing at all for 6 weeks.  Then I should be weightbearing as tolerated, no mention of a boot then.  So, my question is what is your weightbearing status on that leg?

• Posted

I was just moved to touch weight on my ankle and he said I could bear weight as tolerated with the boot on, without the boot on I am still to be NWB.   It is so wonderful not to be hopping around on one leg and using the scooter.
  • Posted

Agreed... Even ups are the answer!
  • Posted

I got my evenup and I can tell right now it is going to be a lifesaver, they should give them to you at the same time they put you in a boot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.