Shoe while in a CAM Boot

Posted , 8 users are following.

For those of you who have experience with a CAM boot, did you find it to be a lot higher than a regular shoe? It looks like it would be. Did it cause you problems with walking? Have any of you used the "Evenup" shoe balancer advertised on Amazon, or any other product like it? It fits around a regular shoe and adds height. It's not pretty, but it might work. However, it also looks like it might easily come loose from a shoe and cause more problems than it helps.

Any input you have would be appreciated. If all goes well I'll get out of the cast and into a boot on Feb. 21.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Becky. I had trimal ORIF on 8/25/16. Yes, I used the evenup and it worked great for me. I sprained my back when a teenager many years ago so I didn't want any back pain in addition to my ankle. I walked really fast with my even up and got it really cheap online. I recommend it

• Posted

Use the 'Even up' that Patti123 used... it will make it much easier to get around. Plus you won't have issues with putting too much strain on your knees.

• Posted

That is important to me. The muscles around my knee replacement are a little strained from getting up from sitting to standing with just one leg.
    • Posted

It hurt my knees... by being unbalanced. I'd just get the thing. I sure would have if I would have known about it at the time. I basically hurt of it about the time I was getting rid of the boot.  Stay in touch and Good Luck.

• Posted

Hey Becky. I had a trimalleolar fracture initially and within two weeks of that I also bruised my ribs. I was so excited to get out of my cast and into the moonboot. But the difference in height between the boot and my normal shoe made my ribs really sore again. I ended up in a whole world of new pain! Lasted ages. If you're doing OK all good but if you notice any pain, get the evenup.

• Posted

That must have been awful. I've heard that ribs can give you problems for years. I hope that you're doing ok now. I ordered the Evenup last night. It should be here within a few days of when I get the boot, but I won't be full weight bearing for a while so it will be alright.

• Posted

Yeah it really was pretty painful for a while there. I bruised my ribs by falling into the toilet too! Not the most pleasant experience and definitely caused pain afterwards. But then I got better, only to have them sore again when I started in the moonboot.

Great that you have ordered the Evenup. Be better to have it than not. I tried to find one here but couldn't seem to locate one where I was so just ended up going shoe shopping to find one of a similar height. Worked wonders!

Good luck! Hope the rest of your healing goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.