Shoes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now able to weight bear in a sneaker with crutches. Can anyone recommend a shoe or sneaker to use?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello skigras

I also struggle with shoes. It seems that I have tarsal tunnel syndrome and I have been suffering from this for 2 years. Shoes have been a nightmare for me. I have now found a pair of trainers that suits me and my needs. But I wear then with orthoses and a gel insole on top to make the trainers feel really soft inside. These are Skechers trainers called Go Run 400. I had a Brooks trainers before and they were quite good. I think running shoes are better... It protects and gives more support to the feet... And no, I'm not running... Anymore... Unfortunately!!

I hope my advice helps.

Good Luck!

Cris

• Posted

I still have some swelling so I bought a couple shoes that are a size bigger than I usually wear. ECCO has some nice ones with soft leather and cushioned soles. I also have some KEENS that are a little wider. I also found some running shoes in a wider width. The key for me was soft leather, plenty of room at the heel, flexible in the toe box, soft soles. I will say, by the end of the day the surgical area is a little sore and i am happy to get some ice on it. One day at a time.,.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I did some research on sneakers. The women's Asics Gel Nimbus was rated as the the top Achilles' tendon sneaker so I ordered a pair.

• Posted

That's the same shoe I got in mens version. Wearing them now!

• Posted

Great! I hope it works out. What kind of sock do you wear underneath?
    • Posted

Also are you able to drive with it?
    • Posted

The shoes I have are conventional shoes so driving is no problem The boot was another story. I did drive with the boot, but I used my left foot (my right foot was the injured achilles location). I just folded my foot with the boot and used my left foot. It is awkward and a little uncomfortable at first, but I did get used to it and drove conservatively. I practiced on some deserted country roads before I got in traffic, and drove to the grocery store, and back and forth to work; no long drives in heavy traffic. It is obviously more risky than driving the way you were taught and the way to which you are accustomed. You have to be the judge of how comfortable you are with it.  Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

PS--don't forget to use plenty of that miracle drug on the surgical site: ice and compression. Along with PT it seems to keep the healing progressing. Sounds like you are making good progress if you are going to weight bearing.

• Posted

Driving is not a big problem. My inured foot is the right foot, and sometimes the heel still hurst if I've been driving for a while. PT says that is the "plantar flexion" (pointing the toes down) that compresses the tendon and it still hurts after a while.

• Posted

I have been using Rockport walking shoes. They are the ones that double as dress shoes. They are plenty wide and big enough to put the lift inside that my surgeon gave me. Hope this helps!

Im walking without crutches around the house. My physical therapist gave me the ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.