Shoes after 6 weeks post bunion surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi all! I'll be back to see my surgeon in three weeks - that would be 6 weeks post op for follow-up and x-ray. He said that by then I will stop wearing the surgical boot and start wearing tennis shoes. My queston for you guys who had the same experience....Did you have to wear the tennis shoes all day? Or can you start walking without shoes (maybe with socks or slippers) if you are just around the house? Am asking because I work out of my home.

Also, how soon did you have to start PT on your big toe? Did you have to wear a toe spacer to aid in straightening the toe? If so, how soon after surgery? Thank you!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am 6 weeks and 3 days from Big Toe Joint Fusion (Driving Foot). At 3 weeks post op, I got my stitches removed and my doctor told me to wear my tennis shoes if swelling permitted. I went home and put them on. 3 days later I drove over to return my rented knee scooter. I returned to work at 4 weeks and am wearing 1 size larger dress shoes. Rockports to be exact. I can walk medium distances in them but by the end of the day my foot is pretty swollen and needs a rest. I think this must go on for 3 to 6 months. My main problem is not the surgical area but the rubbing my shoes and socks cause on my skin. It feels like I have a bad sun burn on the top of my feet. Hopefully this will go away soon. So for anyone having this procedure I would say that I have done pretty good. I was laid up for about 4 days, knee scooter for a week and a half, and walking in shoes at 3 weeks.
  • Posted

I had a bunectomy 3 weeks today!  The first 2 days were painful!  My stitches came out at 1 1/2 week post op and I was moved from a boot to a surgical shoe.  I go back to the doctor on Tues and he said I would be able o start wearing shoes.  I will say recovery has been easier than I had expected.  I will have my left foot done in June and I am praying it will be just as easy! 
    • Posted

Hi Kimberly,

So good to read that someone has had a similar experience.  Not finding anyone else able to wear shoes in less than 4 weeks.  I had my bunionectomy 3 weeks ago yesterday, too!  I left the surgery center in a surgical shoe so walking (sort of rolleyes) from day 1.   The pain wasn't as bad as I expected but I was on a real regular schedule with pain meds for the first 3 days, lol.  Back to work 10 days later...desk job.  Had sutures removed a week ago and my doctor instructed me to start wearing a regular shoe as of today.  I was a little nervous about that but wearing a new pair of running shoes right now and walking pretty well.  I wondered, did you have the lapidus procedure?  I think that is a much longer recovery.  Doctor says I can start walking for exercise in 3 more weeks.  I read a lot of stories before surgery and was expecting the worst but this has gone way better than I anticipated.  Looking forward to walking bunion pain free. cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for sharing your experience - I was wondering how it went, putting on a gym shoe after only 3 weeks?  I am just a couple days away from being 5 weeks post-bunionectomy and doctor told me a couple days ago to start walking in my gym shoes but I couldn't put my shoe on! As I bend my foot to get fully into the shoe -  it is a sharp, throbbing pain!!  I see the doctor again in 3 days so I will tell him about the pain and pass on the shoe until then.  But I was wondering how your experience went with putting on a shoe so early? 

Thanks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.