Shoes after ORIF

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was released to walk in my boot 3 weeks ago, doc just said put a bit of weight on it, compensate with crutches. I did that, down to one crutch now, minimal pain. As of today he said do my best to dump the boot, he gave me a brace to wear with my shoes. Problem is, my broken ankle won't fit in my tenny shoe, I'm real swollen. Did anyone buy special shoes somewhere for recovery period and walking? I need it to be real wide apparently. Given swelling can take a year to subside, this isn't going to work. Another hurdle.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How nice that you have progressed to this point.  My physical therapist recommended the brand Vionic shoes for me when I could try walking with real shoes.  I found them (in the US) at the store, When the Shoe Fits, but you could check the web for other stores.  Since I have a medium narrow foot I found they didn't work for me and they were spendy.  The brace I had was quite complex and I had to rely on the instructions but could wear it with tennis shoes.  I didn't even wear the brace for very long, but perhaps you could get some shoes in a wider size and loosen the laces.  I really didn't have much trouble getting back into regular shoes and you might not either.  I was never told the swelling would take so long to stop.  I did not find that to be the case. Remember to keep your ankle/foot elevated as much as possible.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I have had similar problems with swelling and was told the same as you that it can be a year :-(

I have had serious swelling from the date of my accident and still do nearly 3 months later, I wish I was one of those that didn't but ah well!

I have been wearing trainers with my right foot (broken ankle foot) with loose laces and it has been ok.

I have found that it is more comfortable to wear shoes that be bare footed although this isn't normal for me as prefer being bare footed but needs must, comfort is more important at the moment!

Good luck hope it all goes well!

• Posted

Thanks guys, the struggle is real lol. I'm at 4 months, man am I tired of all this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.