Shoes post ankle fracture

Posted , 15 users are following.

In the beginning, it felt like I'd never wear 2 shoes or 2 socks again. But, here I am 16 weeks later weeding through the shoes I can wear.  I was wondering if anyone has found one shoe better than the other.  My incision burns and the it hurts to have anything rubbing on them so, I've been looking for a shoe that is cut below the ankle. I have a shoe made by Clark that has a rocker type sole (similiar to the boot).  I have found that I can walk much easier in this shoe. However, it doesn't have any ankle support.  My needs may be different than yours. 

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

G'day Linda

I realize your original post on this topic was over a year ago, but I'd like to chime in for the benefit of ankle sufferers to whom selecting shoes is a critical issue now. You are probably doing just fine now, though.

Basic shoe recommendations for foot fracture patients ready to ditch moon boots/casts and and start full unrestrained walking are: shoes that have sturdy soles that don't flex too much; relatively low heel heights (sorry ladies, high heel fashions are over for you), and lace-up closure that provides a secure base for foot in shoe. Shoes should be spacious in toe compartment to accomodate the inevitable swelling that comes and goes. Shoes designed for diabetics might work well for you in this regard.

Flip-flops can't be recommended, at least until you heal.

Problem with foot injuries is a complicated set of soft tissue bits that get re-arranged, stretched, contorted, scarred, and inflamed during your long recovery. No wonder that many of us complain of never-ending bouts of pain and swelling that persists for months. It's easy to imagine that some foot demon has possessed your ankle and delights in torturing you with all kinds of weird and changing pain symptoms.

Remember that your poor foot is trying to heal itself months later while you go on using it constantly in everyday activities-- walking, twisting, standing long periods, etc. Give your injured ankle more respect, and as much rest as you can (hard to do when you must use it daily to earn your living-- that sucks.)

Depending on nature of your injury (and everyone's situation is different although we all would like to believe that they are roughly the same) you may need a shoe insert or orthotic to support tendons or ligaments that keep the arch intact and foster overall stability and good foot biomechanics in movement. If you need professional advice there are doctors (podiatrists) that do nothing but treat foot problems.

• Posted

Half my ankle is missing and becouse 5 surgeries later Icant have anything tightly against my ankle eather. As for shoes I find Keen high top to be the best for me with a added soft insoles. With most other shoes I'm in pain all day but with Keen. I'm not a shoe rep eo sales man just a man that after 12 years of constant pain has found the right combination. I hope this helps.

Rich

• Posted

My PT told me use what feels comfortable ...I use an ole should pad...thin type ...folded in half and it keeps shoe from rubbing...and causing pain and prickly sensation...I also wear an arch support...um not sure brand..maybe ace...that keeps foot from causing too much pressure on heel...12 post tibia/fibia surgery.
  • Posted

I am 9 months post tri- malleolar fracture and just beginning to feel better. I still walk with a crutch and have limited range of movement but I have found Fitflop shoes a blessing and skechers as well. They are very supportive and give the right comfort level for me. They are also quite wide so allow for all that swelling and extra metal. I wear Fitflops as slippers as well as work shoes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.