Shooting pain after ESWL Lithrotripsy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi again, all—

I had previous posted in here in July regarding my first Kidney Stone and how much pain I was in after the removal. I had a stent plus I was still recovering from a UTI, so it was horrible. This morning I had stone #2 removed, 5 mm. Not that big. The procedure went fine. I woke up with a little discomfort but nothing that their pain meds wouldn’t fix. They sent me home and I was fine for the first few hours. I am currently experiencing the worst shooting pains of my life. I understand the general soreness and pain near where the laser was and then near groin, flank, side, etc. but I have a pain that surges through my lower stomach every 10 seconds. This surge is unbearable. It causes me to physically arch my back in pain and actually yell. Is this surge pain normal? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I never had a stent put in but i have read the removal of the stent and the recovery is awful and the pain is content and worse then the kidney stone. 

Hope you feel better!

• Posted

Luckily the stent was removed last month. The removal was not fun but it was quick and I felt like my old self within hours of the removal. Which was a breath of fresh air after feeling pain and non-stop bladder pressure for two weeks. It was a nightmare. But with Kidney Stone #2, I don’t have any stents in anymore and no UTI. But the method of removal was via the shockwaves. I was convinced this was just going to cause mild to moderate discomfort once I was home. Boy was I wrong. I am currently fighting this surge pain every 10 seconds plus the standard soreness and cramp style pain that I expected from the actual procedure. But this surge pain is absolutely killing me. Normally I can make “stomach pains” go away by rolling my pillows and playing them on my tops of my thighs and then arching over them so my stomach feels pressure against it. And butt in the air. Yes I know, awesome visual. This is fool proof for me and always works...just not with this pain. In fact, it makes it even more noticeable. I’m scared there’s a blockage or bleeding or something because I’m not used to whatever this is...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.