Shooting pain attacks in right groin area - female

Posted , 52 users are following.

About me: 43 years old (44 soon)

Weight: 9 stones

Height: 5'4"

Births: 3 children (now in late teens) by caesarean sections

Hobbies: avid weightlifter for about 5 years but given up about 1.5 years ago

Daily exercise: dog walk for about 15 minutes

Problem: About 10 years ago I had, what I call my first attack. I was sat down on the grass in the park and got myself up first on my bent right leg to push the rest of my weight up on that leg. Suddenly, I lost my footing as the shooting pain my groin area was so severe I could have passed out. I was in absolute agony and had to keep completely motionless on the ground for what seemed like an eternity. Laying on my back, after about 5 minutes, I slowly tried to rock my leg in towards me and out away from me. When I dropped my leg away from me, I felt relief although after each attack the residual dull ache was present for about a day. Once I managed to get up on my feet, I found weight bearing on my right leg to be painful, to the point of having to limp for a while. After a while, the pain would go and I would then be able to walk normally. I didn't get this pain again for a good few years and recently, about 3 years ago, it started again. I went to my GP who sent me for an X ray which showed no abnormality. He then referred me physio and they couldn't detect anything either. The Physiotherapist felt that if I wore a hip brace (pull my hips tightly together) that may help. However, there was no hip brace available for a UK size 10. Recently, in the past few months, I get these attacks each time I am not "careful". By careful I mean, I can never put my weight on my right leg to support the rest of me, I can't swing my right leg too high for instance while crossing over a high gate on my dog walks, when I get out of my car, I have to swing both legs round and out of the car touching the ground and then lifting myself up on both feet (like old people do when they get out of cars). I am absolutely fed up with my condition. I worry about exercising, about gardening, about some type of work at my employers' as I had an attack that lasted 15 minutes only about a month ago. My life is miserable and my passion and hobby of weightlifting and exercise is on the backburner. I have no get up and go anymore to exercise when in the recent past I used to exercise almost daily and looking forward to it. What could be wrong? I have been reading up on femoral hernias but I am not quite sure if that is what I have. I have no lumps in my groin but I do have a lump in my left armpit (which I have had for about 6 months now) which has been investigated by bloods through my GP and haeamtologists who have both felt it was nothing to worry about. Any advice would be highly valued.

Thanks.

6 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My daughters and I have the exact same pain. no one can figure it out. it sounds like the femoral hernia, but of course regular dr said no after xrays, I was wondering if any of you have had Perthes hip disease in your family? my dad had it as a child , into his old age, I don,t know if it runs in families or not, but adults can have it too. same symptoms. going to dr ASAP, Will let you know.
    • Posted

My doctor says that ordinary x Ray will not show cartalege problem in the ball socket in the hips and has recommended me for a scan. I have been experiencing groin pain for several months I go to an osteopath and that is helping
  • Posted

By chance do you have the Essure birth control device? Or any other medical device. I had the Essure along with thousands of other women with similar symptoms which were resolved after removing the medical device. Your body could be fighting of the foreign object.
  • Posted

Hi everyone

About 11 years ago, a week after the birth of my last child, I developed 2 dvts in my right leg, 23cm from the groin down the thigh, and also 15cm in the calf. Over the past 5 years I have been getting severe pain on and off in sometimes one, sometimes both groin areas. The pain is quite often when I have been sitting in a car, or on a bus/train. When I go to get up I can barely walk. It is quite debilitating and at times I am unable to walk without assistance from my husband or children.

I went to the doctor a couple of years ago and he couldn't find anything, after doing an ultrasound/x-rays. He said they'd have to open me up and do an exploratory. I am hesitant to do this because of the dvts.

I have never had any idea what could be causing the pain but at least now I have some idea what to research/ask my doctor.

• Posted

My doctor told me that a scan would show cartilage problems in the hip which an ordinary X-ray would not, as I have severe groin pain.

i have had dvt in the past not in the groin, when I had an operation for another reason a net was inserted in my neck to avoid complication of blood clots. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I have been researching groin painfor the last year. In the beginning, I experienced a moderate pain in my right groin everytime I got out of my car. At first I thought I had overdone at the gym. The pain would come and go until about 6 weeks ago when it came on with such force that I began walking with a limp. The pain would radiate throughout my upper thigh down into my foot and top right thigh. Perscription anti inflamatory pills control the general pain but the localized pain in my groin is becoming worse. Even if I am sleeping, sometimes I awake with an aching, almost cramping sensation coming from my groin. It is almost as if my groin has the flu.

I live in the U.S. I have had x-rays and am currently in Physical Therapy.  I am "learning " how to breathe correctly and how to stabalize my torso while moving. It is quite difficult ,since This condition has made me unstable in the first place. The x-rays show no degeneration of the hip. I am 61 years old and am in reasonably fit shape. Until 6 weeks ago, I did some form of exercise 6 days a week. Please keep me posted if anything new is learned.

• Posted

I have visited the hospital to day and the doctor has refered me for a scan. I had an x Ray showed same as you. The doctor Said X-ray would not show cartridge problems in the ball part of the hip? Thought this migh help you.

i have found an osteopath to be more helpful and have been advised to continue with this treatment until I have the scan results. Hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Hello. Your description sounds exactly like my condition. Did you ever find a cause or relief. Thank you for any information you are willing to share with me.
  • Posted

I have read you mail with great interest as groin pain has been with me since August. I have had physio and visits to an osteopath, blood test and x Ray. Although there has been some improvement  I am still experiencing pain. Today I visited my local hospital who have referred me for a scan the doctor feels it is the hip socket? I am interested in your information about a lump under your arm I feel you need to pursue this further with your doctors as (I am not intending to frighten you) but several years ago I had blood test for a condition and the doctors reassured me that as the blood test was ok I did not have cancer I was relieved but you can guess what I am to say next.. I did have a tumour? Cancer of the lymph glands expresses it self in lumps my father had this. I am not a medical person just personal experiences

when I have my scan I will post again.

good luck

• Posted

I notice this thread is over a year old.  The comments by meepeecee over a year ago could very well be mine today.  When attempting to turn in bed last night the pain was so severe it shot down as far as my calf.  Has anyone found any relief over the last year?
  • Posted

I am going through something similar. My pain is on the left side of my groin. My doctor told me that I needed a hip replacement, because he said that the pain in the groin is associated with the hip.I was putting it off as long as I could. I kept telling them that it wasn't my hip that was hurting, but my groin. So, I had a cortisone shot in the hip a month ago &  there was no relief. Now i have another appointment to see what hapens next. Has anyone heard of the psoas muscle? I almost think that it might be the problem.I cannot have a good nights sleep, because of the groin pain. I have had it for almost 5 years & it is really bad now. I keep waking up every half hour with groin pain. Any suggestions?
  • Posted

I'm so relieved to find this thread....

I have almost continual pain in my left groin which continues despite ibuprofen, and also sometimes in bed. My first symptom occured about 11.5 years ago when I was carrying my infant son (I think about 9mths old) and I took a small step to the left. I had a sudden, and extremely painful, sensation that my hip had shifted to the exterior of the socket and then immediately back in again. I nearly dropped my child and I almost fainted from the pain.

Since then, and increasingly, I have had periods where I have hardly been able to walk, but also periods when my symptoms have receeded. At the moment, I walk like a duck because every step is a) painful, and b) a lottery - sometimes, randomly, my hip seems to 'give way' and I almost collapse on the floor.

I have had physio, Mézières technique, chiropractic and now osteopathy (it has gone according to how rich I've been!). I've had x-rays, which show a very small amount of osteo arthritis (I'm 47 and a bit overweight). I also had an injection of anaesthetic into my hip joint to determine whether I needed an MRI; the pain wasn't altered very much, and they decided not to give me the MRI. I've had 3 sets of X-rays done during the past 6 years and all they have shown is that my legs appear to be different lengths, but due to twisting from the sacrum.

I have had trauma to this hip joint: when I was 12, I fell 15ft into a small stream, landing very lady-like on my left hip. I had an enormous bruise, but also I realised when I re-started ballet (which I did between the ages of 6 and 15) that my left leg could no longer rotate outwards as far as it had (eg in the tailor position). Despite stretching out in a number of different ways, I have never been able to get this range of motion back again, and it is also excruciatingly painful. I think that my sacrum was pushed out of line by the landing, and that my body is becoming less able to deal with the twist. The question is, where is the pain coming from?

I have had the impression that by having tighter abdominal muscles, I could alter the pain levels, and I am also now looking into Iliopsoas tendonitis as another possible cause of the pain. Does anyone have any comments on this?

I have now had enough of not being painfree enough to be able to: run, dance, go for hikes (because I never know when my hip joint will seize up), swim (only breaststroke or butterfly because the crawl kick brings on the pain), or even just walk to the bus. And I'm permanently tired, I think due to the stress this brings on, plus the constant need to deal with the pain.

Thanks to this thread, I'll go back to the osteo and to the GP and ask them to think again. Wishing you all a speedy diagnosis and effective treatment...

• Posted

PS I've just read an article on Slipped Capital Epiphysis and am now feeling a bit glum. I'll have to ask the GP to look into that, too...
  • Posted

You sound so much like myself. The same problem for over 5 years now, but only a lot worse for me now.  I was to see the surgeon yeterday, & he said that according to my exray, I have severe arthritis. He said that I need a hip replacement, but in the meantime i am going to get a viscosupplementation injection. He told me that it conditions/cusions the hip joint area.I'll believe it when I see it. I had tried the cortisone shot,two months ago, but that did not help at all. I had been looking in to the psoas muscle, & I thought that might have been the problem. That might be an option for you to google. That is very interesting reading. I really feel for you, as I was so physically fit, before this pain started.
  • Posted

I have been suffering with this for almost 4 years. I've had X-rays and ultra sound looking for hernia and nothing. ...so scary and frustrating. I walk my dog and work and at the end of the day, I can barely lift my right leg into my truck. I try not to take much pain medication as I'm a mother of two and also work with children, if I do take them it's at night. Feels better upon rest but by the end of the day, my lower back hurts shooting into my groin and down my upper thigh. No clue what's going but I feel so old!
    • Posted

Marla, it's been quite awhile since I posted that and a lot has gone on, but the source of my pain-and yours sounds very familiar to mine-was a hip problem. Come to find out my labrum was torn off down to practically nothing and my hip was barely staying in its socket due to a breaking of the hardware used in a 3 level fusion of my lumbar L3 thru S1. The top left portion popped off and away from the rest of the hardware, pulling away from my right hip enuff that it must have been on the edge of the labrum tearing it away until it was discovered in a CT scan or MRI I don't remember which. I would have that at least checked out. It is kind of like sciatic pain but there is a distinct difference. And don't let them go by just an X-ray. The first doc I saw took X-rays, saw nothing and told me there's nothing to fix. The 2nd doc I saw actually took care of my primary docs hips and he highly recommended him. I saw him, he ordered MRI- that's what it was- even the radiologist that read the MRI said there were 2 tiny areas but they weren't even in an area where standing would bother them. The doc I was referred to thankfully reads his own MRI's he orders and saw the 3 tears immediately and yes that were in weight bearing areas. So he did a. Arthroscope to clean it up and smooth down the tears and first thing he runs into is a pincer lesion. After taking care of that and getting that out of way,the biggest surprise was I had hardly any labrum even left! Most of it is gone. He smoothed down the little there was and til me I will need a hip replacement within 5 yrs. I asked him doubtfully how could he tell that.... And he just said he's had plenty of experience and he's very rarely wrong. That was 3 yrs ago, and I was 50 yrs old! I don't have much time left, and I don't doubt him either. So maybe get it checked just to be safe than sorry. And don't take just an X-ray, and find the best hip doc in your area! Good luck honey!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.