Shooting pain in breast

Posted , 4 users are following.

(I’m 19 and a female!) Within the last week I’ve developed an intense shooting pain in my left breast only. It seems like it’s getting progressively worse with time.

Only physical changes are I have prominent veins on my left breast. These veins colors are intensified over my entire breast, as well as there’s some poking out around and directly on my nipple. I am struggling with feeling sure that there are no lumps. The issue I’m having while feeling for lumps is that I have fairly large breasts and it’s hard to differentiate lumps from mammary glands. Though, when I do feel around for lumps I find specific areas that hurt to press on.

The pain isn’t constant, usually happens at random times or if I move around. It’s very different from any menstrual breast pain I’ve ever felt.

Is this something I should be worried of? Has anyone experienced or know of anything similar?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Chanel, most women get pain in their breasts at some point in their lives and often its hormone related especially when you are young.However you say this is in one breast and happens when you move around so I wonder if its muscular especially as you say it hurts when you move and you have large breasts.

Examine your breasts in the shower. Bend forward so they hang and lightly cup a breast in each hand. Then firmly smooth down towards the nipples making sure you are using identical firmness on each side. Then do the same but lying on your back and pressing down firmly with one hand on each breast. Smoothing in from under the arms,down from the chest and up from the abdomen. If the lumps and bumps feel the same each side then you probably have no lumps to be concerned about. If you should find a lone lump which you cant feel on the other breast then you should make an appt with your doctor. If you do find a lump it is highly unlikely to be cancer, so please dont worry. It may be a cyst or just an area of thickening. Make sure you wear a well fitting supportive bra. You could also try taking Evening primrose oil...one capsule a day. It can help to relive breast pain.

Do visit your doctor if you are worried...we all get worried about our breasts and no doctor will mind seeing you. It will set your mind at rest.

• Edited

I am wondering if you ever got an answer about what was going on with this. I am experiencing something very similar right now. I am much older than you though (just turned 50). About a week ago, I started having pain in the nipple of my left breast. The nipple is quite sensitive to touch and gets hard very quickly if touched. It looks normal when it's relaxed, but kind of lumpy when it's erect. I am also having mild twinges of pain in that breast randomly throughout the day. There are certain areas on the nipple that seems much more sensitive. I have tried feeling around, and don't feel any lumps. I've also had regular mammograms since I turned 40, with no issues thus far. I am just waiting for an ultrasound appointment, but came across your post that seemed so similar to my issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.