Shooting pain in left side of face for 2days on and off... feel scared please help😢

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im back again as i have had this bizzare sharp pain on left side of face that has come on for a few seconds then dissappeard. Its happend for two days now and ive read up everything from MS to neuralgia, feel so scared and dont know if this is just a normal body pain or something to worry about. Has anyone experienced this at all???? I do suffer with health anxiety/GAD... please help im worried sick xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to see a dentist, that may help and put your mind at rest.

It may be a Neuralgia as you mentioned above. It is awkward for us here to say yes it is this or that. You are sensitised to anxiety and so called body pains.

If you are really concerned talk to your GP I have Arthritis in my jaws and they found that with Xray. Sometimes a Dentist can check your jaw and teeth, I have heard however where a patient had their teeth extracted to prove it was a real pain sad to say it was Anxiety.

B.

• Posted

Hello. It's hard to diagnose on this site, as Bob said. But I can tell you that what you're feeling is fairly common for anxiety sufferers. And so I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you though, you could see a GP or dentist. But I really think your pains are related to anxiety and stress. They'll go away the more you relax and don't think about it.

Feel better soon. Try to relax your mind. Much love !

• Posted

Thankyou for ur reply... it started last night and the only way i can describe it is like a quick dull ache in my left cheek bone, and sometimes feels a bit like pressure... lasts a few seconds then goes away. I have 6 monthly check up at the dentist and im forever at the doctors due to serious health anxiety. Ive started on 20mg paroxetine 4 weeks ago as ive tried cbt twice and did not work. I just worry ive got ms or a tumor or something... a couple of my friends mentioned neuralgia but i dont know what to think because my jaw does'nt feel painful... thankyou for messaging me bk 😊 xx

• Posted

It could be chalked up to a few things, Nicola. One thing I've noticed a lot with anxiety sufferers is a tendency to carry tension in the neck and upper back. Tension in these areas often cause slight nerve issues in the face, including having little pains and numb feelings in the face. For someone who is already hyper-aware of their bodies, this will increase panic. But I assure you - you're quite fine. Try your best to relax, get some rest, drink some water, and do something you like. Maybe take a walk, or listen to music, or watch TV or a movie, maybe doodle or paint a little. Be creative and you'll soon feel better. I promise. smile 

Much love 

• Posted

Yeah i totally get what ur saying, i am so hyper aware of EVERY single ache or pain anywhere in my body. Also for the past week i have been obsessively checking my tongue down the left side as it felt strange/sore... i mean like checking it about 50 times a day... do u think this could be why ive got the problem ?? I seem to be getting the odd pains up the side of my eye (temple) and behind eye. I just worry so bad and think everything is cancer or some neurological disease... hate being like this xx
    • Posted

Yes, this sounds very much like a tension-related condition. I suspect that because you're constantly checking these areas, you may actually be causing some irritation. I promise that none of this is serious. If it continues to bother you a lot, you can go back to the doctor. But it's good to try to resist that urge. Health anxiety can consume your life if you let it. It's happened to me a lot over the years. And we all have to try to live our lives as normally as we can. So try to relax your mind and distract yourself. If you need to talk, feel free to post here. Lots of people use this site and are helpful. smile 

Much love Xxx 

• Posted

Hi nick yeah ur right health anxiety does consume u and ur life... it is awful. Ive only been like this for 3years. My nan said she has had the pain in her cheek before and it was from cold weather and it goes away. Dont know if ur from the uk but it is really cold here at the mo. Since ive had this pain in my cheek ( 2days) i have thought MS, Brain tumor, tumor in my face, neuralgia... and the rest, its horrible is health anxiety. Have u ever had pain/throbbing in one cheek before??xx
    • Posted

Sorry for the late reply, Nicola. But yes - I have had that pain in one cheek. It comes and goes for me, and I usually just attribute it to tension headaches and stress. But it's cold where I am too, and I think that the cold can in fact cause a little tingle or pain in the face. Especially if you walk around outside a lot or don't have proper heating or a fireplace. But try not to think too much about this pain. I've feared MS before too; and ALS, heart disease, a stroke, Parkinson's, etc. But all of that is just the anxiety. Once you accept this, the fear won't necessarily go away. I still worry about stuff daily. In fact last night was very tough for me. But even though the fear is still there, once you know it's anxiety you'll be able to cope with it better. Which helps. Look to your family also for support - they can be helpful, even if they don't always understand what you're going through. 

I hope your mind is more at ease, friend. smile 

• Posted

Hi I also grinde my teeeth during the night and I am also experiencing face numbness & weakness in my body (and a million other symptoms) I have also been fearing MS, stroke and brain tumour!

Was admitted to a T.I.A Clinic 2 weeks ago and since then I have been fearing having another attack eventhou the consultant is almost 100% convinced it was a panic attack but I'm still not convinced.

I had another attack yesterday and was sent to the hospital, had an ECG and chest examination and everything ok so I'm guessing I am just experiencing really horrible, severe panic attacks!

The medic was brilliant, I told her all of my symptoms and she was 100% certain it is all anxiety related as I am undergoing texts at the moment which is making me fear the worst!

P.S I also get eye pain so that alone is freaking me out!

Was thinking to myself yesterday, I wish it was MS as I would rather I was diagnosed with MS then a brain tumour!

This is how my intrusive thoughts are having such a huge impact right now as I can't rationalise xx

You are not alone x

P.S I am also experiencing chest pains x

• Posted

Hello Zoe. So nice to hear from you. 

I'm glad you encountered a helpful medic that was informed about anxiety-related symptoms. Sometimes people working in health care aren't trained to understand these issues. But I'd say most doctors are very caring people, and even when they don't fully understand mental health issues, they still do their best to offer comfort and help. 

Have you started or tried therapy, Zoe? Things like CBT can be helpful. There are also medications you may want to take, or at least to have on-hand. These fears and anxieties are so hard to deal with...anything to make things easier is worth a shot! 

Feel better soon, my friend. Whenever you start to get nervous, just remember: you are absolutely fine! It's just your mind playing mean tricks on you. I promise. smile 

Best xxx

• Posted

Thank you Nick ;-))

The doc has increased my a/d to 200 mg Sertraline.. Yeah every single GP is trying to push CBT on me, I have tried it before but since experiencing panic/anxiety attacks I feel it's worth another go.

The last therapist I saw, it felt too formal, direct and I was struggling keeping up with all the paperwork & diaries etc.

I think it depends on which Therapist you are referred to as well.

P.S as far as medication goes, I feel like I need Diazepam on a daily basis but of course the Doc's are so reluctant to describe these as can cause addiction, also I am asthmatic so they can't try me on Beta Blockers ;-( xx

• Posted

I would say most likely it's tension and you are probably grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw when you're anxious or worried..

I also have health anxiety so I know exactly what happens when you read up on things like MS.. You will slowly start having symptoms of it and then some. Ignore it as much as you can and it will end up going away.

Maybe see your dentist though, or even get a mouthguard from the pharmacy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.