Shooting pains under right rib cage, any ideas anyone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This has only happened past couple of days but appears to be getting more frequent, I have been experiencing quite random, unpleasantly distressing shooting pains just under my right rib cage and it probably happens about ten or twelve times a day, so I am rather concerned and wondered if anyone else has been experiencing similar that may have any ideas what it might be.

I do have a hernia and a gallstone but with the hernia the pain would surely not be centred there but it could be a gallstone that is aggravated or possibly an ulcer, but I don't want to second guess the situation too much so have booked to see my GP on Mon 12th March, soonest he's free, then perhaps he can send me for some tests to identify the problem, it comes on very suddenly and it quite pronounced so tends to stop me in my tracks.

Anyone had similar?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you have any other symptoms?  Does the pain come on after eating? One possibility could be gastritis; another could be costochrondritis..
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, no its just random, sometimes first thing in morning before eating or late at night when haven't eaten for a while, and no other symptoms, I'll google costochrondritis but my depot nurse whom I saw this morning said I was pointing to my liver, when I showed her where the pain was, so hopefully they can run some tests in a fortnight or she said to pop up and see the duty doctor if it got any worse in interim.

• Posted

PS  I think its too low down for costochrondritis as thats more chest area?  According to google anyway, but best to have a test i think as occasionally I have got twinges in my lower back which could also be indicative of liver complaint.  Thanks and best wishes, Fiona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.