Shop barcode scanner causing heart problems??

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mum (60 years old) works in a retail clothing store and last week started using a new type of handheld scanner at work. Later on that night, she could feel that her heart was beating way faster than it usually does and it felt like it was out of rhythm. She waited a while, hoping it would sort itself but it didn't. She took her BP at home and it was 175/115 with a rate of 150bmp. She had always had normal BP (on the lower side of normal) so this was very out of the norm. She went to A&E where they put her on a drip to try and get it back to normal but this didn't work so they had to sedate her and shock her. After the shock, her heart stopped beating for a minute so they gave her CPR and luckily got it back to beating again. Yesterday she underwent an angiogram in the hope that it would show why it had gone crazy in the first place, but this showed up nothing at all.... apparently her heart is fine so now she's waiting for an MRI. She asked the consultant if the scanner at work could've interfered with her heart but he said only if she'd got a pacemaker. Just wondered if anyone had encountered/ heard of anything like this occurring at all? Seems far-fetched, I know, but we're obviously worried as nobody can give any idea as to why her heart went crazy. She's never encountered any health problems in the past, she doesn't drink or smoke and is otherwise healthy. Thanks in advance. smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

could it be the scanner has high radiation levels? 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying.

Possibly. We don't know which scanner it is to be able to find out radiation levels. Mum signed off work for a week still so won't know which model it is until then.

I had searched the internet for similar happenings, but haven't been able to find anything yet, just seems too much of a coincidence!

• Posted

It’s definitely a strange one. I’d be inclined to think it’s the scanner, but a hard one to prove. 🤔

• Posted

I think it's probable too, and I agree, difficult to prove! Just strange though as it was the only thing that she'd done on that day that she'd never done before . smile

• Posted

There are quite a lot of people who consider all this dirty electricity our technical age is producing, is responsible for the recent increase in heart arrhythmia. After all, our heart muscle is prompted by an electrical signal, if we are being bombarded with electrical signals it makes sense.

My own Ventricular Tachycardia arrived at the same time all the local street light were converted to wi-fi.

No way will I allow a Smart meter to be installed but I expect I will be bombarded 24 hours a day by multiple neighbours.

Google "emf causing heart problems"

• Posted

Sorry for what you're going through, but on the plus-side for us, it means we're not alone in our beliefs, I honestly thought that people would reply by telling me I'm crazy for suggesting such a thing - the consultant brushed it off easily enough!

I'll have a google on the above and take my findings back to my mum, she's probably feeling a little foolish thinking that it could be related, so I'll be able to put her mind at rest so that she doesn't continue to feel crazy over the idea!

Thanks so much.

• Posted

I went into our local Sainsbury's today and after a few minutes I was having a problem with a bright patch in the middle of my right eye and to a lesser extent in the left. Looking at the lighting the tubes were brighter and narrower than previously. I asked the check out operator if the lighting had been changed and she said it and was affecting her eyes as it was so bright.  

I had a question to ask at the service desk and the Guy there said that depending on where he is situated he was also affected by it.

• Posted

And the irony for me is that I have a implanted Reveal Linq loop recorder under my skin, right next to my heart that sends out a wi-fi signal!
  • Posted

Please be reassured that their are conditions that may have nothing to do with cardiac structure or function that can cause aberrations in BP and excessive heart rate.  For instance adrenal tumors are just one condition that can cause these abnormalities.  Since they didn't find anything wrong with her heart, it could be another organ system that just happened to affect her cardiac function.  I hope you find out what is wrong.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, will take your words into consideration, hopefully the MRI will show something. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.