Short BUrsts

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I believe it’s VERY possible I have CFS but I haven’t been diagnosed. Yet. But the thing is is that when I do get a flare up usually if I’m doing something I’ll do it in short bursts of energy like closing a drawer, standing or walking and it just kicks the life out of me. Does anyone know any energy saving tricks?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The best treatment for CFS is exercise. I know its difficult initially, but it gets easier.
    • Posted

A lot of the claims about the benefits of exercise from CFS are based on poor quality trials and spun data. The CDC has recently dropped it's recommendation for graded exercise therapy (an article titled 'Why did it take the CDC so long to reverse course on debunked treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome??' on statnews covers this).

?To me it seems that there really isn't any good quality evidence on any one thing that will help. Different people may find different things for themselves, but currently CFS is surrounded by quackery and junk-science.

• Posted

Hi Haley, I agree that some things simply trigger a flare up but everyone is different. If I rush too much in the a.m, that sometimes sets things off. Also, stressful situations such as traveling or having too many deadlines will set things off for me!

Things are best for me when I get proper sleep (I require a sleep aid) and pace myself-I try to do a little something each day even if I'm having a bad one and then rest in between activities. 

Another poster mentioned exercise being very good for CFS. I think that all depends on the severity of your illness. Luckily, I have a more mild case of CFS, so low impact exercise such as walking and jogging some help me. 

On the other hand, they are finding that exercise actually hurts some people (those with more severe cases of CFS). I would try to get a diagnosis, so that they can help you find a treatment plan that will help you improve the quality of your life and get better. Good luck to you. KPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.